status update

Michael Delaney

Apr 19, 2013, 5:54:03 AM4/19/13
to fall...@googlegroups.com
hi,

i was wondering what the status of fallen-8 is at the moment. looks like github activity has tailed off.

regards

Henning Rauch

Apr 19, 2013, 6:28:20 AM4/19/13
to fall...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

yes and no. I had great success programming plugins for several companies in Europe (as a freelancer). Now I am at the point where I'll push this project to the next level to be able to do get more performance and distribute the graph (which is my ultimate goal: a distributed in-memory graph).
Fallen-8 for C# is in maintenance mode, because it's done. If there are bugs then I would fix them. Still it is used by some companies and integrated in some really big projects.
My next project is a reimplementation of Fallen-8 in C++ which will be much better:
* more performance (F8 is already a magnitude faster than any other graphdb)
* will use less memory (lessons learned)
* unique features optimize the search for paths
* enhanced checkpointing + delta-persistence
* thrift api including pre-built clients

--> release: end of may, rc1: begin of may

Cheers, Henning.

Michael Delaney

Apr 19, 2013, 6:30:32 AM4/19/13
to fall...@googlegroups.com, cosh...@googlemail.com
thanks for the update.
i'll probably have a play with f8 c# and monitor your progress on the new version.
regards

Henning Rauch

Apr 19, 2013, 6:34:03 AM4/19/13
to Michael Delaney, fall...@googlegroups.com
great, let me know if you need help.

Paul Murphy

May 9, 2014, 4:44:24 AM5/9/14
to fall...@googlegroups.com, cosh...@googlemail.com

C# can now be compiled into native code. There is no reason to implement in C++. Check it out.

--pm

Achim Friedland

May 10, 2014, 7:42:07 AM5/10/14
to fall...@googlegroups.com, cosh...@googlemail.com

Hi Michael,

C#-to-native will still have most of the C# safety-belts which will cause some sort of performance degeneration. C++, esp. with templates and C++11 and newer are interesting because of the expressiveness of the language not because of its supposed higher performance. We'll see if this project will make good use of the benefits...

Best regards
 Achim Friedland