Test framework is complete -- what about a hangout?

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 18, 2018, 4:47:05 PM1/18/18
to FalconPL
The unit test system is up and running.

In the meanwhile I had the time to do a bit of ground work on base concepts as items, classes and garbage collecting. I am still not ready to publish the result of my analysis, but I'd like to share my early findings with the developers here, and work through it together so that we can steer the initial work in the best direction.

What about setting up a hangout? -- or can we just use our new Discord channel?

Stanislas M.

Jan 18, 2018, 4:56:10 PM1/18/18
to FalconPL
I'm OK for Discord

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Jan 18, 2018, 5:12:55 PM1/18/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what is the point. We don't have anything to discuss about as we can't use the software because it's not usable yet.

Joël

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 19, 2018, 11:21:18 AM1/19/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
Well, there is some merit in starting organising the work early so that we don’t waste time in developing things in the wrong direction. I have some experience and I had some idea, but I might be missing some important detail and sharing them with other people having other views could improve them.

I’d rather discuss about what to do now rather than musing over what some of us have done later...

Also, as long as we don’t talk together there is no way we can make this a project with more than one developer involved. I pressed on and worked alone on the unit test framework as it’s structural for everything else we’ll be doing, as I want every new development to be really test-driven and agile-oriented, and because I just had to copy a minimal subset of an already existing and good idea (GTEST) but I really would prefer this to be the last time I do something alone.

Gian

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to falconpl+u...@googlegroups.com.

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Jan 19, 2018, 11:46:35 AM1/19/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
Then I would suggest to setup a self-hosted Discourse instead of the hosted recent altenratives.
Both because it's closer to a forum but still work as a persistent chat
and because it will allow me to participate as I can't open chats while working (because it's too much noise)
and the "forum"-like or discussion-group-like format make more sense for me
for persistent long and well thought communications.

Joël

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 19, 2018, 12:32:35 PM1/19/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
This is an excellent idea. I will try and set it up later tonight.

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to falconpl+u...@googlegroups.com.

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Jan 19, 2018, 12:39:40 PM1/19/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
Beware, except in simple Ubuntu server contexts, it might be quick to setup.

Paul Nema

Jan 19, 2018, 4:26:15 PM1/19/18
to FalconPL
Was going to suggest an alternative and simply create a new channel on
Slack but I like what I read on Discourse.
Seems to be a great, free and open source app. Curious to try it out.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte

>>> --
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --
>>
>> --

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Jan 19, 2018, 7:02:43 PM1/19/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
It's also made by the same team behind StackOverflow,
so it's designed so the system self balance to the community, allowing
most trusted people to get more responsabilities, instead of having a bunch
of managers having to manage everything themselves.

>>> --
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> --
>>
>> --

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 23, 2018, 3:49:51 PM1/23/18
to FalconPL

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 12:02:43 AM UTC, Klaim wrote:
It's also made by the same team behind StackOverflow,
so it's designed so the system self balance to the community, allowing
most trusted people to get more responsabilities, instead of having a bunch
of managers having to manage everything themselves.

The solution is really heavyweight, although powerful. Also, it's ruby on rail and postgre. I've been looking into alternatives, but my hosting  is so behind the market that I can't install anything modern.

I am negotiating another hosting now where to restart afresh. Tomorrow I should be able to give you more details, but if someone is interested in helping out setting up a new server from scratch, please step forward -- you'll have root access.

Also, I am eager to share the Ideas I had about how to proceed.
I'll be back soon with more.

Stanislas M.

Jan 23, 2018, 5:13:02 PM1/23/18
to FalconPL

Le mardi 23 janvier 2018 21:49:51 UTC+1, Giancarlo Niccolai a écrit :

The solution is really heavyweight, although powerful. Also, it's ruby on rail and postgre. I've been looking into alternatives, but my hosting  is so behind the market that I can't install anything modern.

I am negotiating another hosting now where to restart afresh. Tomorrow I should be able to give you more details, but if someone is interested in helping out setting up a new server from scratch, please step forward -- you'll have root access.

Also, I am eager to share the Ideas I had about how to proceed.
I'll be back soon with more.

 I have time and willing to help as usual. =)

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Jan 23, 2018, 5:47:56 PM1/23/18
to falc...@googlegroups.com
I have a server available but it is setup to host my experiments, so it is not guaranteed to be stable.
Yeah this kind of hosting imply money to keep the server online.
Except if it's hosted for free by Discourse themself but IIRC they require some traction from the community first.

Joël

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 24, 2018, 6:54:10 AM1/24/18
to FalconPL
I bought a VPS here in UK that is much more affordable, modern, barebone and simpler than the previous one.

I am moving the site there, should be done by today (you might have noticed I fixed the  mod_falcon module in the GITHUB repo for the old falcon last night).

We can then chose to go a heavyweight solution like DISCOURSE or a lightweight like Flarum.

As Klaim pointed out, we might also aim for a free hosting on the DISCOURSE servers, I am not against it in principle (also beause we were not that far from having our own solution when Falcon was active -- Nest was damn sleek and using a nowadays existing JS framework as front-end as they do in Discourse would make completing Nest a breeze).

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 10:47:56 PM UTC, Klaim wrote:
I have a server available but it is setup to host my experiments, so it is not guaranteed to be stable.
Yeah this kind of hosting imply money to keep the server online.
Except if it's hosted for free by Discourse themself but IIRC they require some traction from the community first.

Joël
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:13 PM, Stanislas M.
Le mardi 23 janvier 2018 21:49:51 UTC+1, Giancarlo Niccolai a écrit :

The solution is really heavyweight, although powerful. Also, it's ruby on rail and postgre. I've been looking into alternatives, but my hosting  is so behind the market that I can't install anything modern.

I am negotiating another hosting now where to restart afresh. Tomorrow I should be able to give you more details, but if someone is interested in helping out setting up a new server from scratch, please step forward -- you'll have root access.

Also, I am eager to share the Ideas I had about how to proceed.
I'll be back soon with more.

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 24, 2018, 3:27:05 PM1/24/18
to FalconPL
FalconPL already points to the new site.

Configuring and building Falcon was a breeze, except for the updated Apache 2.4 API -- which didn't actually take long to fix. The site works like charm, and the new hosting is much faster.

OTOH, I installed ubuntu16, and it comes with PHP7. This limit the options we have a little bit.

If you want to help out setting up a server you can send me your public ssh key.

Giancarlo Niccolai

Jan 26, 2018, 8:43:36 AM1/26/18
to FalconPL
A fast note: Stan, I got your mail but couldn’t reply because of some misconfiguration of the mail server (was working at some point, but the DNS got seemingly screwed). You have access to the “falcon” user, which is the one that handles the site and the language. Will add you to root tonight.