Is Falcon still indev?

Carter Stevens

Feb 5, 2016, 10:21:56 PM2/5/16
to FalconPL
I can't tell if the Falcon project is still alive, or worth learning. The last version of the language was 5 years ago, so I'm just curious.

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Feb 6, 2016, 2:59:21 AM2/6/16
to falc...@googlegroups.com
From what I understand, there was progress on the new version of Falcon which is in Alpha (the new_engine branch in git) until around 6months ago:

As there is no more progress I decided to not use Falcon in the end as an embedded scripting language, at least until there is more traction.
Giancarlo Niccolai does almost all the new devs and it's very hard to do that alone on such a big project (I did that too in the past)
so I think it's ok to rest from such effort.

That being said, my understanding is that the new_engine branch is usable so you might want to try it. Although the main issue is the documentation.

On 6 February 2016 at 04:21, Carter Stevens <thebina...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't tell if the Falcon project is still alive, or worth learning. The last version of the language was 5 years ago, so I'm just curious.

dnmu...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2017, 12:32:35 PM12/11/17
to FalconPL
I was going to ask the same question but given none of the development team have responded here I would guess that it is effectively dead, and certainly not something that can be relied on.

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Dec 11, 2017, 1:25:17 PM12/11/17
to falc...@googlegroups.com
I think it's abandonned and switched completely to ChaiScripts in my projects (I only
used Falcon as an embedded scripting langange).