Getting the 1.2 gem

Mike Doel

Mar 11, 2009, 9:46:02 AM3/11/09
to FakeWeb
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but the RDOC at:

http://fakeweb.rubyforge.org/

shows the new 1.2 features for this gem (e.g. allow_net_connections
method). But when I try to update or reinstall the gem, I keep
getting the 1.1.2 version. Is there a way to get the new gem?

Mike

Chris Kampmeier

Mar 11, 2009, 12:18:23 PM3/11/09
to fakewe...@googlegroups.com

Hm, it's working on this end:

chrisk@al3:~ $ sudo gem install fakeweb
Successfully installed fakeweb-1.2.0
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for fakeweb-1.2.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for fakeweb-1.2.0...

Maybe one of the gem mirrors out there is out of date?

In that case, you could try downloading the .gem file from here: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1711
. Then just do `sudo gem install path/to/fakeweb-1.2.0.gem`. That
should do the trick.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Mike Doel

Mar 11, 2009, 12:29:09 PM3/11/09
to fakewe...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Chris Kampmeier wrote:

> chrisk@al3:~ $ sudo gem install fakeweb

Interesting. I had been doing:

sudo gem install FakeWeb

and was still getting the 1.1.2 version. When I used lowercase for
the gem, I got the 1.2 version. I'm new enough to Ruby to not know
what to make of it, but I appear to be okay now.

Thanks.

Mike

Chris Kampmeier

Mar 12, 2009, 12:29:57 AM3/12/09
to FakeWeb
Yikes. It's because I released the new version as fakeweb-1.2.0, and
the previous releases were FakeWeb-1.x.x, and RubyForge's gem
repositories treat those as different gems.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for posting about it.

The more I think about it, actually, I'm not sure I want to "fix" the
new release... thoughts:
1. I bet there are more new users out there who would forget to use
`gem install FakeWeb` than old users who would run into the problem
you had. I know I forget to capitalize ZenTest all the time.
2. Having to capitalize gem names on the command line is pretty rare
these days... just checking the machine I'm on now, only 5 of 142
installed gems use capital letters.
3. If we were ever going to make this change, it'd be better to do it
sooner than later so the least number of users run into the conflict.

So I think I'll just add a warning about this to the "Installation"
section of the README, and try to do something about the old releases,
so that `gem install FakeWeb` doesn't work at all. Anybody have other
thoughts on that?

(A related gotcha: the pre-1.2.0 releases made you `require
'fake_web'`, not 'fakeweb' (or 'FakeWeb' for that matter!). I thought
that was kind of surprising, so in 1.2.0, you can require either
'fakeweb' or 'fake_web' and it'll work.)

Chris

Mike Doel

Mar 12, 2009, 8:09:13 AM3/12/09
to fakewe...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:29 AM, Chris Kampmeier wrote:

> So I think I'll just add a warning about this to the "Installation"
> section of the README, and try to do something about the old releases,
> so that `gem install FakeWeb` doesn't work at all. Anybody have other
> thoughts on that?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Mike