Roosters

Collenette, Shirley

Feb 10, 2009, 3:54:12 PM2/10/09
to Fairfax Chickens
I would like to start an advocacy group for roosters. Most have an
unfortunate existence as most people don't like hearing them and most
city ordinances ban them. If you must get rid of one what do you do
with them? Back to Rivertown? I find that they are amazing if you can
be allowed to keep them. They protect your flock. They sustain your
flock. They break up petty hen arguments. If handled as chicks they
make friendly affectionate pets. Some breeds of rooster are definitely
not kid friendly. So beware.

Sara

Feb 22, 2009, 6:15:29 PM2/22/09
to Fairfax Chickens
I have a rooster dilemma myself. I have one hen and one rooster in my
backyard in downtown fairfax. They are a little over 5 months old and
Tosca has found his voice :-( I read about chickens being allowed
with a 25 foot buffer zone. Do you know if this goes for roosters as
well? Tosca and Mimi are a great pair. They are really affectionate
with each other and I would hate to separate them. I am currently
looking for possible homes in case the neighbors get upset, and for
now we bring Tosca inside in the early morning. Any ideas about legal
issues, managing the crowing, or possible homes would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!
-Sara

Shirley Collenette

Feb 22, 2009, 7:10:49 PM2/22/09
to Fairfax Chickens
We gave our silver duckwing bantam rooster to a friend in Woodacre.
The neighbors loved him. They would remark on how lovely it is to hear
him in the mornings. I would say to keep your friendly paired chickens
until you get a negative response. Offer eggs to your neighbors and
hopefully you can keep your rooster. We are in a homeowners
association that says we cannot keep roosters.
Good Luck!
Shirley

Pam Hartwell-Herrero

Feb 23, 2009, 2:08:19 PM2/23/09
to Fairfax Chickens
Sara,
The ordinance makes no distinction about roosters. So you are OK
legally- but I would also encourage contacting neighbors to put a good
spin on it. I have a neighbor a ways off and I love to hear the
crowing. Having said that I don't have roosters myself but more so
because I wanted to control flock size.
Pam

Sara

Feb 23, 2009, 9:26:42 PM2/23/09
to Fairfax Chickens
Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the responses. I think
I'm going to try to talk to my neighbors and find a workable way to
keep them. I will keep you posted.

On Feb 23, 11:08 am, Pam Hartwell-Herrero <sustainable...@gmail.com>