Hashes and psychic predictions

Alex Railean

Jun 28, 2012, 5:25:31 AM6/28/12
to fafo...@googlegroups.com
I don't remember if I told you about one of the benefits of hashing -
you can use it to make predictions without revealing them.

You know that whenever you measure something, you actually influence
it. For instance, if you want to measure the temperature of the tea in
your cup, the thermometer must absorb some of it first - thus altering
the state of the liquid.

The same thing applies to the future - as soon as you try to predict
it, you influence it, thus it can change. Which is why making
predictions is dangerous. If you've watched Star Wars, you
know about self-fulfilling prophecies, so all of the above should make
sense.
Another example - my dad spoke to a fortune-teller once, she told
him that his son (i.e. me) should stay away from stairs. Which is
why I always prefer stairs to elevators :-D

Here's where hashes come into play - you can make a prediction without
revealing it; just share the hash. When the time comes, publish the
original text, let people hash it themselves and proclaim in awe how
great your prediction skills are.

On this very day, I am sharing the hash of my prediction with you:
B63C9066248E3BF5E6A71D42DA7D6BE6 //md5

What do you think it is? :-)

Dima Ursu

Jun 28, 2012, 5:30:50 AM6/28/12
to fafo...@googlegroups.com
On 06/28/2012 12:25 PM, Alex Railean wrote:

> What do you think it is? :-)

someone will fail your exam ?

Vlada Grosu

Jun 28, 2012, 10:50:23 AM6/28/12
to fafo...@googlegroups.com

"I feel the prediction refers to the near future, had it been about 2013, this game wouldn't be interesting.
So it refers to the next +-7 days(give or take a month).
I guess the prediction might about something we might/might not do, such that you feel the need to protect it until it happens.
However, The best predictions to be made at the moment are about Euro2012.
So either you tried to guess the score or the winner of a match.
I already tried hashing reasonable scores(0-0 ,0-1,1-0, up to 5-5)"

-Ursu Dan

Dan asked me to post this :) How could I say no?

Alex Railean

Jun 28, 2012, 3:11:33 PM6/28/12
to Information security, FAF

> However, The best predictions to be made at the moment are about Euro2012.
Haha, your approach is interesting and it makes sense, but no - it is
not about football.

So... what else could it be?

I was hoping you guys would me more active and more creative :-)

Alex

Jun 29, 2012, 2:49:28 AM6/29/12
to Information security, FAF
Here's a hint that will help you initialize your idea-generators :-)
anonymous-email-prediction-masked.png

Ursu Dan

Jun 30, 2012, 11:04:12 AM6/30/12
to fafo...@googlegroups.com
Well, since there is no football involved, i have two options:
Either it is specific/local like Mr. Bostan is going to invite us all to a solo karaoke night, and he's going to sing Chop Suey,
either it's something globally. Now it's easier if the prediction is global,  because there's an finite amount of topics worldwide spread: Iraq,Iran,IPhone,Obama, a couple Actors.(However making a global prediction shouldn't worry the fortune teller since he is unlikely to  influence global events. So if you have a global prediction why are you worried about influencing it? )

So, in the pursuit of logic, i'm going to give another guess which educated people and news producers like to state all the time: "The world  is (not) going to end in 2012".
PS: I feel that the key to the answer lies in the disclosed part :"Well , to be technically correct".