L.E.D. Lab App with Fadecandy

tryinghard

Jan 3, 2021, 3:27:49 AM1/3/21
to Fadecandy
I posted about finding pre-made demos for an LED grid I made using Fadecandy.  I since found the L.E.D. Lab App which looks ideal and even mentions Fadecandy.

I have Fadecandy / LEDs attached to a Raspberry Pi which has wifi.  Thats about where my capabilties end - has anyone got this to work with a Pi / FC setup?

AT CoD

Jan 6, 2021, 10:38:28 AM1/6/21
to Fadecandy
I tried L.E.D Lab app on my iPhone and could not make it work with my Fadecandy setup.  App looks a bit overly complicated.

Chris Gagné

Jan 22, 2021, 5:58:50 AM1/22/21
to Fadecandy
Yep. Works great. Install the fadecandy server, then hit it with whatever you want. Just modify your config files so that the fadecandy server and your script (Processing is my drug of choice) start automatically at boot. You can run it headless. I just ran a 2,048 LED installation at a week-long festival last week with just a Raspberry Pi. I thought LED Lab could have been interesting, too, but I already had software to go and didn't really want to deal with mapping out my array. I may yet play with it in the future.

tryinghard

Jan 25, 2021, 11:51:52 AM1/25/21
to Fadecandy
Thanks Chris - Does that mean that you got LED Lab to work?

I have Fadecandy + Pi + Processing / Python with a 10x15 grid  going really well but was keen to get LED Labs as well as just a way to create simple visualisations (basically when the kids want a disco!)

My next plan is to up-scale - I Like the sound of your 2,048 installation - do you have a link to anything for inspiration?

Chris Gagné

Jan 27, 2021, 2:07:31 AM1/27/21
to tryinghard, Fadecandy
I’ve not personally tried it yet as I already had my own software (see @chrisgagne on GitHub for an older version). It seems there is a brief trial period available, so perhaps the basics setup and give it a shot?

Things I learned:

I had to put my Processing script in the LXDE startup configuration as the other ones didn’t work (couldn’t start Processing if the window server wasn’t rubbing). Fadecandy server was fine in the usual config. I also had to do something to the RPi config to run without a monitor attached.

No idea what sort of latency you’ll get with WiFi; how did you connect? Can the RPi act as an access point?

Sorry I don’t have all the details handy, but like building something from a kit I think you’ll find the exploration process quite instructional too.

Warmest Regards,

Chris Gagné