Incorrect colors displaying on LED strip + Processing sketches not displaying

Ian Woods

Dec 6, 2020, 7:23:16 PM12/6/20
to Fadecandy
Hello Folks,
I've been working on and off on a project for a while involving a Fadecandy and a few strips of LED lights. I have wired them up according to the diagram in the readme, but would be happy to provide pictures if that's necessary.

When I start the FCserver and navigate to localhost:7890, I can turn on the lights on the LED strip via the fadecandy, which is wonderful. However, they're sort of a light pink at 50% intensity, and a deep orange at 100% intensity. That's problem #1 that I can't account for. I have tried different LED strips, and they all behave this way. Even with a different Fadecandy board, the problem persists. Even more curious, I hooked this up around this time last year and did not experience this problem (I only work on this around Christmastime because I get a combo of time off + an impetus to get a light display up), so I don't think it's that the equipment is fundamentally broken or anything.

I thought to myself, "well, the colors are off, but the light is displaying - maybe I need to feed in colors using GRB as opposed to RGB or something," somewhat grasping at straws, so I decided to try writing some Processing code to mess around with that. I found that processing does not, in fact, display anything at all, even though I'm quite sure that the lights are connected in some way based on the fact that the FCServer dashboard allows me to toggle the lights on and off.

Does anyone have experience with these problems or obvious suggestions?

P.S. I'm good at the code side but bad at the soldering / wiring / physical reality side. I think that's where I'm most likely to be wrong and most likely to have questions.

Thanks for looking at this

Ian Woods

Dec 6, 2020, 7:40:35 PM12/6/20
to Fadecandy
And, to give some more context to whoever may investigate this in the future, I tried using a non-processing approach. I tried using some of the HTML examples from the fadecandy github, and they work perfectly. Excellent. So I guess I can isolate my problem a bit more. It doesn't seem that the colors are universally wrong - using HTML examples they work fine and appear correct.

Ian Woods

Dec 6, 2020, 7:46:55 PM12/6/20
to Fadecandy
Don't know if this matters, but when looking at Processing's display settings, it is not possible to switch to the Fadecandy as a second display, which is what I would imagine is necessary for the Fadecandy to display things.