examples for multiple strips?

Thomas Kunka

Feb 2, 2014, 3:54:00 PM2/2/14
to fade...@googlegroups.com
How difficult would it be to convert the multiple 8x8 grid examples done in Processing over to use multiple strips of 64 LEDs?  I''m using the 144/per meter NeoPixels cut into lengths of 64 for my project and the dilemma of course is how the pixels are sequenced. I can run the code for the grids but of course they don't appear correctly. ;-)

I would think this might be a fairly common configuration for curved applications. Any help would be appreciated - I have an active project and I'm trying to pull it together within a week. I'm confident in everything but the code. I just want to run the same Processing examples but on 3 and/or 4 strips of 64.

tk

Joel Pitt

Feb 2, 2014, 4:00:22 PM2/2/14
to Thomas Kunka, fade...@googlegroups.com
In other LED projects I put a shim in between the pattern generating
code and the pixel setting code.

However, it looks like OPC.pde that comes with fadecandy has you covered:

https://github.com/scanlime/fadecandy/blob/master/examples/processing/grid8x8_dot/OPC.pde#L64

This ledGrid method lets you config the grid, and you can see an
example call for it for the default 8x8 grid.

George Erhart

Feb 4, 2014, 9:25:32 AM2/4/14
to fade...@googlegroups.com
I am working on a display board with 38 strips of 60 WS2812 LEDS. I currently have 16 rows and I am waiting on the infamous Ray Wu store to ship the remaining strips. In the Processing sketch, the definition for the array of LEDs for the flame demo looks like:

opc.ledGrid(0, 64, 16, width/2, height/2, width / 70.0, height/20.0, 0, false);

For the current 16 strips, this yields a uniformly spaced grid of sample points. As I add strips, I will change the divisor for the height as needed to keep the spacing uniform. The screen shot snippet shows what the grid spacing looks like. The other picture shows the clouds demo sketch running on the strips I have right now.
IMG_1135.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 7.22.00 AM.png
IMG_1137.jpg

Micah Elizabeth Scott

Feb 5, 2014, 4:17:32 PM2/5/14
to George Erhart, fade...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful!

How many controller boards will you need for the whole display?

BTW, if you aren't already using it I'd strongly suggest updating to firmware 1.07, it has some USB performance fixes that will be useful for larger projects like this.

–micah

George Erhart

Feb 5, 2014, 5:17:24 PM2/5/14
to Micah Elizabeth Scott, fade...@googlegroups.com
I have 5 Teensy 3.0 boards at the moment ... and the USPS should be delivering 4 Fadecandy boards tomorrow. I will need 5 boards to control 38 strips (38/5 = 7.6). I will keep one of the Teensy 3.0 boards and use the 4 new Fadecandy boards for the rest. I can retask the Teensy boards to other projects. (I just need Ray Wu to ship my other order of WS2812B strips!)

I did upgrade to the 1.07 firmware already.

This display is going to be used as eyecandy for our booth at the Mini-maker fair in Denver this May: http://makerfairenoco.com/2014/01/15/denver-mini-maker-faire-coming-this-may/

Our Makerspace is currently looking for a home and if we get something where a window display makes sense, I will probably use this in the window to attract attention.
--
George Erhart
Loveland, CO

Kevin Godowski

May 14, 2014, 4:14:41 PM5/14/14
to fade...@googlegroups.com, Micah Elizabeth Scott
Hi George, I was wondering if you might be able to help get the FC setup to run strips, I'm burnt out trying to figure it out and was hoping you might be willing to share the files with me so I can go through and better understand the code to run multiple strips using all the outputs.
Kind Regards,
Kevin
P.S. I'm up in Fort Collins

Guardio

May 24, 2017, 9:45:53 PM5/24/17
to Fadecandy, gwerha...@gmail.com
Hello George.

Long time since your publication but any way I would like to ask you a question.

I recently started working on a project similar to this example.

Now, I have a matrix of 64X16 but I can not complete a perfect image and I think the problem is in the Setup () ... Size () ... and maybe something in the void draw ().

Could you help me get the picture? The image of the flames is very very good!

Regards

AG

415

May 26, 2017, 4:03:43 AM5/26/17
to Fadecandy, gwerha...@gmail.com
what do you have for the layout in in the fcserver config json?