Using FadeCandy to control 2 strips as 1

David Lewin

Jun 19, 2021, 12:26:31 PM6/19/21
to Fadecandy
Hi,
I'd like to use FC with processing to display animations in a matrix ( 10 lines made of  strips ) of Adafruit neomatrix strips.

But before buying Adafruit Strips I was wondering if it were possible to workaround the 64 leds limitations of the FC by adding 2 strips (let's sat 2x60 leds) to make a single line of this matrix that would require 2 outputs.

does this implies to define a new PDE that would consider 1 line made of 2 strips from 2 FC outputs ? or do you have a better solution ?

Fiid Williams

Jul 6, 2021, 10:03:19 PM7/6/21
to David Lewin, Fadecandy
Which product are you planning on using exactly?   (link?)

The NeoMatrix I found is 64 pixels, so you could drive 8 of them with one fadecandy, no problem.

The OpenPixelControl server does allow some configuration as to the layout of the pixel matrix, so you can map them in a way that makes sense for your application.

Note that if you want to control the RGBW NeoMatrixes, that's a bit more involved, and you can only drive 48 pixels with each output.  If you can break the chain of leds and patch the next FC output to the 49th pixel, it would be doable to control that tho.

David Lewin

Sep 5, 2021, 6:57:59 PM9/5/21
to Fadecandy
damn. I've missed your answer. sorry for this delay.
I'd like to usie RGBW neopixels if possible. But if you tell me that they are limited, then... just the #1506 with RGB only.
However, I don't understant why you say it can only drive 48 pixels as the repository is ok for 64 and maybe 80 (with some latency anyway) ?

David Lewin

Sep 7, 2021, 12:16:35 PM9/7/21
to Fadecandy
OK I've re read and I understand the confusion. My bad: instead of "Adafruit neomatrix strips" please read " Adafruit neopixel strips" like 1506 for example.

I've found a github discussion where Scanlime explains that the 64 pixel limitation is in the firmware. But I'm sure that some people have found a workaround for this.

Myrthe Diepeveen

Feb 15, 2022, 8:27:37 AM2/15/22
to Fadecandy
Did anyone found a sollution to work around the 64 pixel limitation yet? I can't find it anywhere online.

Fiid Williams

Feb 18, 2022, 10:29:12 AM2/18/22
to Myrthe Diepeveen, Fadecandy
The dithering that fadecandy performs, the “candy”, is performed by rapidly switching the levels of the LEDs.  If you have more than 64 LEDs, the amount of time it takes to update the strip becomes long enough that there isn’t enough time to update them all before they need updating again, so that is a hard limit, unless you switch to leds with a faster data rate and reengineer the fadecandy.