linear LED array with fadecandy

gaeh...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2017, 12:48:27 PM8/28/17
to Fadecandy
All the examples I've seen so far are 2D-arrays of LEDs. How does fadecandy cope with a single, very long strip of LEDs? I'm planning a 20m ring with ~640 LEDs, connected as 10 chains of 64 LEDs each to 2 fadecandies. How does the library cope with this setup?

Kind regards

Noah Ramon

Aug 28, 2017, 7:38:24 PM8/28/17
to Fadecandy
Logically, I can't imagine it wouldn't be perfectly fine - the only real issue I'd see would be a question of wiring (power and data vs. distance) and if you're putting them in a ring, each point on the ring is the same distance away so all the wiring is simple as pie. (All your data and power lines should all end up about 3.2 meters long, assuming you put the fadecandies in the middle of the ring.)

Wes Cherry

Aug 29, 2017, 2:47:48 AM8/29/17
to Noah Ramon, Fadecandy
I have an installation right now at burning man w 1200 linear leds.   It has 4 fadecandys with separate power supplies, each of which control 300 leds (150 in 5m each way)   Running DC that far required pretty thick wire, so it made sense to run ac to distribute the Dc conversion.

(It's the body and tail of a whale.)

I originally designed it with USB extension cables (up to 64' long from monoprice), but I got nervous about the reliability of that (weird glitches) and went with 4 raspberry pi boards on a wifi local net, running client software controlled by a single server that broadcast pattern and time codes to keep all 4 in sync.

I ran cat6 twisted pair to inject data (and gnd) at the beginning and 2 points on each 5m strip (cutting the data line on the strip with an exacto)  Power was only connected at the beginning of the strip.  I had reliable performance with the data/gnd line 4m long.

It all works, but the build was pretty fussy, especially the cat6 injection.

-'//es

Vince Veilleux

Sep 19, 2020, 4:19:21 PM9/19/20
to Fadecandy
Any chance you have a sketch of your project that you wouldn't mind sharing.  I'm looking to do a similar 1500 linear LED setup to run around our family room & kitchen.  Would love to see (visually) how you tackled the linear distance