Super easy wireless Fadecandy Control development - ideas and feature requests please!!

Rich Maskey

May 14, 2019, 4:06:38 AM5/14/19
to Fadecandy
Thanks to Nemik's work for the inspiration, I am working with Rob at https://www.blue-wave.net/ to develop an up to date fcserver package for the OpenWrt build system. Unlike Nemik's Github repository, this will, once completed, provide a compiled OpenWrt package ready for downloading for any OpenWrt supported device right out the box...!

This will hopefully be included in the upcoming 19.0x release of OpenWrt.

Using the mega cheap (under £20) Gi-Link AR300M a fadecandy can be connected to the router directly or via a hub and pixel data can be streamed via wifi with no lag. I will provide a full step by step blog post for anyone wanting to do this very soon.

Additionally Rob is adding the FCserver to his custom mesh node firmware - this means if you get a device from him, which I highly recommend, it will be part of a self-configuring network where adding more nodes expands the network and provides additional FC server support for more remote fadecandys. This is HUGE news for large scale installations!!

At the moment Rob is building a webUi for this version of the server (called 2.1.05, which incorporates all the unreleased updates from github) and I wanted to see if anyone has any input for this?

I am designing a way to edit the json configuration files directly from the webui along with a way to test the red/green/blue pixels individually to check for failures. Hopefully the json editing will make it easier for those people running many fadecandys at once (my last install had 6 each with their own FC server connected over wifi), I'm planning to add custom identifiers along with the serial number of each device too.

Please let me know if this is of interest to anyone and if you've got any ideas you'd like to see added to the user interface.

Cheers
Rich

remote FCSERVER.png

Rich Maskey

May 14, 2019, 5:22:57 AM5/14/19
to Fadecandy
So the first question is:

Does anyone need unique json files for different fcservers? I just use the same one, with mapping for every FC device and the ones that are not connected are ignored

谢庆晓

Jul 25, 2019, 4:42:36 AM7/25/19
to Fadecandy
Hi Rich Maskey
Your idea sounds very good. Can you post a tutorial that showing how to do it. I am quite interested in your project.

Sean Brassil

Sep 12, 2020, 10:51:11 PM9/12/20
to Fadecandy
This sounds great!  Any updates?