64 bit support for Fadecandy Server: WHEN? How can I help? This is imperative to many people using fadecandys with many hours put into these projects.

wes.nu...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2021, 12:30:49 PM4/1/21
to Fadecandy
64 bit support for Fadecandy Server: WHEN? How can I help? This is imperative to many people using fadecandys with many many hours put into these projects. Specifically Mac users who have been sitting on their hands for over a year with no way to run fcserver on their machine. I totally understand it's open source and this is the way things are sometimes, but I am eager to help in any way I can.

The small number of work arounds I've found aren't working, and would definitely cause some people trying to enter this space just turn around.

I really need to know if I should start looking into fadecandy alternatives or not. But I have 5 years of projects invested in the platform... I would say the community is far from dead. so what do we need to do to get 64 bit support?

I'm not afraid to admit that I am desperate for a solution. my fadecandy projects are the only thing in my life that bring me some purpose and hope. It's really important to me and I know I'm not the only one.

Louis Beaudoin

Apr 1, 2021, 4:32:37 PM4/1/21
to Fadecandy
Did you try the solutions in this GitHub Issue? https://github.com/scanlime/fadecandy/issues/132

It unfortunately seems like Micah has dropped support for Fadecandy, as the fix for 64-bit support is a two line change, and has been needed for well over a year.  Some of the posts on her Patreon give a little more detail on why she's been away from tech projects for a while, but haven't specifically mentioned Fadecandy: https://www.patreon.com/scanlime/posts

I also want to see Fadecandy and the community keep going.  I'm not sure what to propose.  I'm able to spend a few hours here and there on project maintenance, but don't have enough bandwidth or familiarity with all the technologies Fadecandy uses to try to maintain the whole project.  Maybe we can put together a team of people that want to keep the project going?

wes.nu...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2021, 2:33:24 PM7/20/21
to Fadecandy

So I had tried this once before but I was doing it wrong. Followed these instructions more carefully and got it to work!!!

Thanks Louis!