Brick Pressing in Full Effect

marcin_ose

Oct 31, 2011, 9:21:57 AM10/31/11
to Factor e Farm
Hello People,

We are now in full brick production for this year's construction. I
will post a video tomorrow or the day after to show the progress to
date - soil pulverizer, CEB Press, Power Cube, and limited use of
LifeTrac.

We have a crew of 20 coming this coming this Saturday from U.
Illinois, and we'd like to make it an even bigger day - to finish the
workshop structure IN ONE DAY, minus roof. We are pouring the slab
this week, and we will be building the columns as shown in part of
this video - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/622508883/global-village-construction-set

To do this, we will stack at least 5000 bricks on pallets, and place
them by each column, and teams of 2 people per column can have a race
to see who finishes first. There are 20 columns in total.

The technique is:

1. Pallet of bricks by each column is prepared by us
2. Buckets of slurry are prepared by each column - by mixing with a
drill-based mixer
3. Slurry is laid on the ground, bricks painted with slurry using
rollers
4. Bricks are stacked, and leveled with a level.
5. A bucket of sand or fines is also available, such as any unevenness
can be adjusted as the column grows.
6. Bricks are pressed as needed if we run out.

The slurry is essentially a watered down fine soil, with consistency
of pudding or slightly thinner. It binds 2 bricks together.

More info in a couple of days - just mark your calendars for Saturday.

Marcin