2010 Workshops

Marcin Jakubowski

Dec 20, 2009, 2:18:14 AM12/20/09
to facto...@googlegroups.com, susan butler
Friends,

Just to spike up activity once again here - here's a quick heads up on 2010 workshops.

Given that we're perfecting our tractor and CEB construction infrastructure - 2010 will be a good year of building, and it's time to start planning.

We are aiming on a 2 week CEB workshop, tentatively set for June 1-14. We aim to:

1. Build with CEB
2. Use dimensional lumber milled on-site
3. Install a CEB stove with a steam engine combined-heat-power system
4. Dig a shallow (30 foot or less) well
5. Install a CEB floor.

This will demonstrate a housing system with water-electricity-edible landscape built in to the package.

We aim to build several structures like this to house at least 4 permanent people. We are at the step of developing architectural design, and currently plan on avoiding vaulted construction for reasons of simplicity.

There is a little more info on this here.

Sincerely,
Marcin

Marcin Jakubowski, Ph.D.
Open Source Ecology
http://openfarmtech.org/weblog
http://www.replab.org
opensourceecology at gmail dot com
Skype: marcin_ose

Nobody said that building the world's first open source village would be easy.

-- Anonymous, 2009

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

NOTICE: All discussion in this communication is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you are sharing proprietary, confidential, or otherwise privileged information, you must make that explicit. Otherwise, this discussion may be copied, republished, and otherwise used in the public domain - respectfully and with proper attribution. Furthermore, please consider that we are not interested in discussion as much as action. Therefore, we are particularly interested in discussion of ideas that both parties can commit to by acting on them.

Michael Koch

Dec 20, 2009, 2:24:40 AM12/20/09
to facto...@googlegroups.com
do you have a link to a webpage of this?

mike

Michael Koch
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
Oregon State University
344B Batcheller Hall

Operations Manager
OSU Energy Efficiency Center

Cell: 417.483.4244
Office: 541.737.2674
Fax: 541.737.5035

Stefene Russell

Feb 26, 2010, 5:24:19 PM2/26/10
to facto...@googlegroups.com
Hello FeF & Marcin,

Are you guys doing raised beds/April planting again for 2010? I know that orchard crops are a big deal for you guys, but we'll have seedlings, including (depending on how everything germinates) some very productive German heirloom cherry tomatoes, standard-sized tomatoes, a wide variety of peppers hot & sweet, cucumbers, okra, greens, strawberries, huckleberries, tons of herbs. If you are doing another spring planting, let us know, we would love to plan a field trip this year after missing out last year. We have a much better greenhouse setup this year and expect to have a lot of extra plants. A lot of it will be going to our neighborhood co-op garden, but we'd still like an excuse to come up and see what you guys are doing on the other side of the state.

Best,
Stefene

Marcin Jakubowski

Feb 26, 2010, 11:42:52 PM2/26/10
to facto...@googlegroups.com
Hello Stefene,

Thanks for following up. We will be doing major garden plantout. We prapered a good area with mulch:

http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1290

We will cut lines in the mulch and plant as described in the post.

Let us know when you would like to come. The strawberries and huckleberries, herbs, and all the others, are a welcome addition. Please set a date, and we can announce that on the google list.

Marcin

Stefene Russell

Feb 28, 2010, 7:37:58 PM2/28/10
to facto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,

If I remember right, the last plant-out was mid-April...Do you want to tentatively plan for Saturday 4/24, with maybe a backup plan to push it out to the weekend following if we are totally rained out? Let me know if that works.

Stefene

Marcin Jakubowski

Feb 28, 2010, 9:35:56 PM2/28/10
to facto...@googlegroups.com
Stefene,

This sounds good. That should be safe in terms of last frost date. I can offer plenty of raspberry and some asparagus, both of which we can dig up.

Marcin

Stefene Russell

Mar 1, 2010, 9:19:26 PM3/1/10
to facto...@googlegroups.com
Hey Marcin,

Yes, that was exactly my thought. We started some seedling flats last night, so they should be in good shape by then. Looking forward to it.

Stefene