On Downloading FactormineR

Obed Fung

Apr 22, 2022, 9:14:57 AM4/22/22
to FactoMineR users

Dear All,

Greetings . I am a student currently learning how to use FactomineR in preparation for the certification examination after the FUN MOOC course that just ended.

I have downloaded R version 4.1.3  but since the start of the course I have been trying to download and install FactomineR to no avail.

I have gone to FactoMineR: Install (free.fr) but the "download" tab is inactive. I have been stuck here for several weeks. I have this information on the website on how to assess the software:

  1. Download the R software at the following address: http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/. (notice the web address)
  2. Download the FactoMineR:
  3. install.packages("FactoMineR") (no address for points 2 and 3)
  4. Load FactoMineR in your R session by writing the following line code:
  5. library(FactoMineR)

Install its companion packages: You can install several companion packages for FactoMineRFactoshiny to have a graphical interface that draws graph interactively, missMDA to handle missing values, and FactoInvestigate to obtain automatic description of your analyses.
  1. Download the packages you want:

    install.packages(c("Factoshiny","missMDA","FactoInvestigate")) (no address for point 1)

  2. Load the packages in your R session when you want to use them by writing the following lines of code:
  3. library(Factoshiny)
    library(missMDA)
    library(FactoInvestigate)...

How can I have access to them please? As a beginner who is still to pay for the certification examination do I have to buy the software online? If yes how do I get about it? Can someone in the house be of help?

Regards

Raly

Apr 22, 2022, 5:54:01 PM4/22/22
to FactoMineR users
Hello,

You don't need a web address to download factominer.

Launch R and type the install.packages("FactoMineR") command.

Here is an example on how to use install.packages : https://youtu.be/3RWb5U3X-T8?list=PLRMCSSqvx8xbaTP0ha6JL244FviWTt9WC&t=66

Obed Fung

Apr 23, 2022, 3:16:43 AM4/23/22
to FactoMineR users
Hi
Thanks immensely. Your orientation was quite helpful. Could there be a problem with my R Console? It doesn't display the FactoMineR interphase. This is what appears on my screen.
R Console.jpeg
That is where the R code ends. But in the video you have sent, the screen is split into three sub windows the moment FactoMineR and its associated libraries are loaded on R. One Window with the R codes, and the other Window with Factoshiny and so on. I don't get to see this on my screen. Please I need more orientation.
Cheers

Raly

Apr 24, 2022, 6:25:16 PM4/24/22
to FactoMineR users
Hello,

I think that this is because, in the youtube video example, the user was using the Rstudio interface (you can download it here :  https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/#download)

But Rstudio is not necessary for using Factominer. Here is an example of using Factominer from the command line :  https://youtu.be/FKB96VGUgUE

Obed Fung

Apr 27, 2022, 2:45:09 AM4/27/22
to FactoMineR users

Hi Raly

Thank you for these links. They were very helpful. At least I got into FactoMineR and had an overall background on the Geomorphology data.

In the first major exercise in the PCA analysis, we were asked to download data on fertility in Europe and to use the following link (not forgetting to modify it) to import the data into R where the analysis would be done:

don = read.table("C:/Users/husson/Downloads/data_PCA_Fertility.csv", header=TRUE, sep=";", check.names=FALSE, row.names=1,stringsAsFactors = TRUE)

I have downloaded this Excel file to my PC, followed the file location and the new code is this:

don = read.table("C:/Users/ObedFung/Downloads/data_PCA_Fertility.csv", header=TRUE, sep=";", check.names=FALSE, row.names=1,stringsAsFactors = TRUE)

When I validate I have only Error messages. An example of one of these error messages is:

Error: '\U' used without hex digits in character string starting ""C:\U"

Could you please advise on how to upload an Excel file unto R from where the analysis can be done? Is there a tip you can give me about migrating data from a local address to R? Your orientation is very vital.

Thanks

Raly

Apr 27, 2022, 4:12:16 PM4/27/22
to FactoMineR users
Hello,

You have to keep the file path with slashes / , and not backslashes \.

For instance, my windows drive is D:\, but to load the Expertwine csv (http://factominer.free.fr/course/donnees/data_PCA_ExpertWine.csv), I use the following command and it works :

don = read.table("D:/data_PCA_ExpertWine.csv", header=TRUE, sep=";", check.names=FALSE, row.names=1,stringsAsFactors = TRUE)

Obed Fung

Apr 28, 2022, 5:56:40 AM4/28/22
to FactoMineR users

Hi

Sorry to be such a burden. Here is exactly what I entered on the R Console:

don = read.table("C:/Users/Obed Fung/Downloads/data_PCA_Fertility.csv”, header=TRUE, sep=";", check.names=FALSE, row.names=1,stringsAsFactors = TRUE)

Here is the output from R:

Error: unexpected ';' in "don = read.table("C:/Users/Obed Fung/Downloads/data_PCA_Fertility.csv”, header=TRUE, sep=";"

Thinking that the location of the file might be a problem, I moved the file to a different location and again entered following code:

don = read.table("C:/Users/ Obed Fung /Desktop/data_PCA_Fertility.csv", header=TRUE, sep=";", check.names=FALSE, row.names=1,stringsAsFactors = TRUE)

Here is the output from R:

Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection

In addition: Warning message:

In file(file, "rt") :

  cannot open file 'C:/Users/ Obed Fung /Desktop/data_PCA_Fertility.csv': No such file or directory

Why does it work with you and not with me? Given that I am gradually approaching the certificate exam date and I can't prepare well for this exam given this blockage does your policy permit you and I to arrange for a Zoom meeting so that we can share our screens so that you throw some light for a few minutes please?

Thanks

Raly

Apr 28, 2022, 1:55:19 PM4/28/22
to FactoMineR users
Hello,

There are spaces in your file path, you should avoid this by putting your file on a file path without spaces. For instance :
don = read.table("C:/mydir/data_PCA_Fertility.csv", header=TRUE, sep=";", check.names=FALSE, row.names=1,stringsAsFactors = TRUE)

I am just a factominer user, I am not related to the Fun Mooc organization.
Regards

Obed Fung

Apr 30, 2022, 9:11:32 AM4/30/22
to FactoMineR users
Hi
Thanks. Honestly I have implemented all your kind suggestions but none works.
Conclusion: I am going back to take an introductory course in R Programming before I can come back to FactoMineR.
It's unfortunate the entire FactoMineR Google Group Community could not help me at this stage.
Thank you once again for your endeavors.
Cheers
OF

Womble

May 1, 2022, 6:45:03 AM5/1/22
to FactoMineR users
The problem is not obvious but I have found it.  The closing quotes around your path name in one of your messages above are not keyboard quotes but typeset quotes.  This is a problem when copy-and-pasting from Word or from a typeset document.  If you carefully check your command and any quote (single or double) that isn't just a vertical dash or dashes, delete it and replace it from the keyboard.  Similar problems can occur with things like hyphens (a typeset document may have used a different line  from the keyboard one).

I highly recommend opening a script window (File -> New Script) and running commands from there.  You can run a single line command with control-R.  Commands split over multiple lines can be selected and then the whole thing run with control R.  At the end of each session you can save your script, and then open it again the next time you are working on it.

I strongly advise against using a word processor to type-in and edit your commands as they often automatically replace keyboard characters with typeset ones.

Best wishes, Kris.

Obed Fung

May 2, 2022, 7:20:14 AM5/2/22
to FactoMineR users
Kris
Thank you so much for the orientation. It worked so well. I was able to import the dataset. I appreciate it.
Cheers
Obed