Tracking Organizational Use

Lisa

Dec 3, 2009, 5:52:59 PM12/3/09
to Facil Software
Tracking organizational use is an ongoing problem for us, here is one
example: We have a long-standing community information program we
produce for NPO’s—over 500 episodes to date. Unless we make each
episode of this program a separate project, there will be no record of
the organizations served. I am thinking that a field for the
organization on the Program form would address this. I tried adding a
user defined field, but those are not tallied in reports. Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
-Lisa.
Access Tucson

Jordan

Dec 3, 2009, 10:27:29 PM12/3/09
to Facil Software
Paraphrased from many Internet locations.

The one-to-many relationship is the workhorse of relational databases
as well as being the easiest relationship to understand. One-to-many
(also known as "to-many") relationships are often used when managing
databases. A one-to-many relationship occurs when one entity called a
PROJECT is related to many occurrences in another entity called
PROGRAMS. For example, one school has many students, one access
center has many members or in Facil one PROJECT has many PROGRAMs.

A one-to-many relationship allows records in the PROJECTs Table to be
connected to an arbitrary number of records in the PROGRAMs Table
without the limitations imposed by resorting to redundant or limited
numbers of fields.

There is no difference in Facil between an episode and a PROGRAM.
They are one in the same, they are identical.

There is A NEED to create multiple PROJECTs for unrelated PROGRAMs.
There is NO NEED to create multiple PROJECTs for related PROGRAMs.

In this instance a PROJECT is a cookie cutter or rubber stamp that
eases filling out the data fields.

Think of it like this.

Access USA receives a series: "Censored SpeechTV” from the
ORGANIZATION "Hippocracy Now!"

Following these steps:

A - Create ORGANIZATION record: "Hippocracy Now!"
Optionally you can relate or create a “relationship” or link between
an ORGANIZATION to an existing PERSON Record.

B - Create PROJECT Record: "Censored SpeechTV"

C – Use the Drop down Box to Create a "1 to many relationship" between
the ORGANIZATION Record: "Hippocracy Now!" and the PROJECT Record:
"Censored SpeechTV"

D – Create PROGRAMs: "Censored SpeechTV"

Censored Speech – I’s wide Shut | 1
Censored Speech – Talk to the Hand | 2
Censored Speech – Oh No You Didn’t | 3

All of a sudden out of nowhere the ORGANIZATION: "Hippocracy Now!"
produces a cooking PROGRAM: "Liberal Grill"

B - Create PROJECT Record: "Liberal Grill"

C - Use the Drop down Box to Create a "1 to many relationship" between
the ORGANIZATION "Hippocracy Now!" and PROJECT Record: "Liberal Grill"

D – Create PROGRAMs: "Liberal Grill"

Liberal Grill – Steak | Episode 1
Liberal Grill – Fried Onions | Episode 2
Liberal Grill – Baked Arizona | Episode 3

Each show produces 1 or many PROGRAM episodes.

The ORGANIZATION is >related< to the PROGRAM by way of the PROJECT.
The PROGRAM is >related< to the ORGANIZATION by way of the PROJECT.

By design databases have different areas for data entry. This is the
important part: The only way PROGRAMs: "Censored SpeechTV" and
"Liberal Grill" are related is by the ORGANIZATION: "Hippocracy Now!”

"Censored SpeechTV" and "Liberal Grill" do not mix but they each stand
alone, mutually exclusive from one other.

Jordan Beisel
TVCTV Engineering
Beaverton, Oregon

Chuck Pena

Dec 3, 2009, 10:31:56 PM12/3/09
to fa...@googlegroups.com
Great message -- plus you made me laugh!
"Hippocracy Now!" -- what a hoot!!!

Best,
Chuck

Chuck Pe�a
Executive Director
Fairfax Public Access
Fairfax Cable Access Corporation
FPA Channnel 10/WRLD International 30/WEBR Cable Radio 37
2929 Eskridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22031
571-749-1100, ext. 1110
571-749-1110 (direct)
703-571-1112 (fax)
cp...@fcac.org
www.fcac.org

Lisa

Dec 4, 2009, 12:21:34 PM12/4/09
to Facil Software
Absolutely! Thanks Jordan--I'll see if this solves the issue and I
really want to see "Censored Speech – Talk to the Hand"!

Gracias,
-Lisa

Jordan Beisel

Dec 4, 2009, 1:31:12 PM12/4/09
to fa...@googlegroups.com
Remember - PROJECTS do not associate themselves automatically. An ORGANIZATION to which PROJECTS are related must be done manually.