Want to replace photo ID with address block image: Best approach?

David Moisan

Feb 10, 2010, 2:35:46 PM2/10/10
to fa...@googlegroups.com, Sal A. Russo
Hi,

We are preparing to print new ID cards for the membership. However, we don't want to use the default format.

Specifically, we don't want photos.

Instead, we want to use the space for the photo to display our address block. We already have the image made up. Let's assume that it is called address.jpg.

There are several possibilities for doing this, but the best way I've thought of is, for each member, to specify address.jpg for the photo image under Photos.

To automate this process for the 500 entries in our member database (active and inactive), I am looking at PowerShell to periodically perform an SQL UPDATE query against the member database and set the photo file name accordingly.

I know PowerShell and automation in general so that's not in the scope of my question.

I want to know, rather, if there is an easier solution, or one that others are using.

Thanks.

Dave Becker

Feb 10, 2010, 2:55:05 PM2/10/10
to fa...@googlegroups.com
Hi, David.

In general I very strongly advise users not to do anything directly to their
Facil database file but to only use the Facil program to make changes to
their data. No support will be provided for any damage or problems caused
by working directly with the data file.

There are a couple of possible ways to achieve your goal without risking
problems with the data file. There are three ID card format choices in
Facil already. They all have the space for a photo and a space for your
organization logo. The format for Avery Business Cards has the largest
space for a logo and you could probably design an image with your logo and
address that would fit there. Then you only need to set the logo file in
the System Settings / Global. You would still have the space for the photo
and it would say "Photo Not Available" if you have no photos on file.

If this isn't satisfactory, then the next option would be for me to add a
new format for ID cards that doesn't include a picture and could have even
more space for logo/address. If that's what you need, let me know and we
can work something out.

Dave Becker

Hi,

Thanks.

David Moisan

Feb 10, 2010, 3:54:17 PM2/10/10
to fa...@googlegroups.com
OK,

To reiterate what I want to do:

1) We have a logo. That's in the settings in our Facil.

2) We don't use ID photos and don't expect to.

3) Having "No Photo Present" on the ID is unsightly. We thought of replacing the photo with another image containing our address block. It could be a blank image for all we care. Again, "No Photo Present" is the real problem.

It's true that our logo can contain our address as well. But the real problem is in formatting the ID card without the photo. The address JPG is a workaround. Since a DB modification is not supported, the only way right now we can do what we want is, for each new member we put in the DB, we need to change the photo file name to address.jpg (the file that contains our address block as an image.) I don't think I can ask the staff to manually fix this for each active member.

It's unfortunate I found this out after the import; had I imported our old member data into Facil now, I would have included a file name during that process. I've ruled out the only other possibility I thought of: Using NTFS symbolic links to generate a file name for each member (000000001.jpg, etc.) that is linked to the image file I want. But this is a hairy, last-resort solution.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Becker

Feb 10, 2010, 4:43:52 PM2/10/10
to fa...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I understand. I'll work out a solution and get back to you soon.

Dave Becker

Feb 11, 2010, 2:45:29 PM2/11/10
to fa...@googlegroups.com
I have added two new ID card formats - one for the laminated Avery cards and
one for the tear apart business cards - that have no member photo. The
space for the logo is much larger so you can include your address or other
graphic.

I'm sending you a link to download this program update and try out the new
formats. Please read the updated Help topic "ID Card" for info on the new
designs.

If any other Facil user would like to use these new ID card formats, they
can contact me and I'll arrange it. Of course they also will be included in
future updates.