dime scale Corben Super Ace

Wout Moerman

Jun 11, 2008, 5:28:03 AM6/11/08
to Flying Aces Club Europe
Yesterday I've started cutting balsa for a dime scale Corben Super
Ace. I think it is an easy and fun project. I have cut the formers and
made a ply rib template. After cutting the ribs I can start sticking
together all those 1/16 square strips. By building and flying this
model I hope to get more interest in dimers here in the Netherlands.

I also finished a jet catapult scale glider, a Fokker S.14 Mach
trainer. Wingspan is 8". I have done some low power testing which
looked promising but I need a bigger field to really let her go. FAC
jet catapult scale is a class which I believe is unknown in Europe and
maybe we can introduce it here?

Bernard Guest

Jun 11, 2008, 5:42:43 AM6/11/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wout,
glad to see you are working on a dimer corben....it is a favorite of mine. Maybe we should have a little FACE dime scale cookup and postal comp?? Anyone interested?? Or if that is too hard lets do a jet catapault cookup here. I think we could all knock out a jet catapault model or two and post our flight times plus picturess.....as incentive I will send a nice kit to the winner (same goes for dime scale if we have any takers)....how does that sound?? Who is in???
Bernard Guest
Assistant Professor of Geology
Dept. of Geo- and Environmental Sciences
Ludwig-Maximilians University
Luisen Str. 37, 80333 Munich
Fax: 0049 89 2180 6514
Tel.: 0049 89 2180 6713

Wout Moerman

Jun 12, 2008, 6:02:02 AM6/12/08
to Flying Aces Club Europe
I'm in! Just let me know whether we are going to do a jet or a dime
scale cookup. Very generous to offer a price!

Is it possible to add pictures to this site? I haven't found out how.
I see the option of uploading files so maybe I must use that option?
I'd like to show of my CLG Fokker and in due course my Super Ace.

Wout

On 11 Jun, 11:42, Bernard Guest <b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de>

Bernard Guest

Jun 12, 2008, 6:26:58 AM6/12/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
I think we can just add the photo to the email (me with yb49 jumbo rubber). I guess we will do both and see what happens.....I will send a nice kit to the winner of each cookup/comp. We will figure out the rules as we go eh..... democracy style.

Bernard Guest
Assistant Professor of Geology
Section Geology
Dept. of Geo- and Environmental Sciences
Ludwig-Maximilian University
Luisen Str. 37, 80333 Munich
Fax: 0049 89 2180 6514
Tel.: 0049 89 2180 6713

Bernard Guest

Wout Moerman

Jun 12, 2008, 7:28:57 AM6/12/08
to Flying Aces Club Europe
Bernard,
I am affraid I didn't see a picture of you and your jumbo.
What exactly is HPA? I like the idea of others joining and this group
might be a bit limited for this purpose. OTOH we can try to use the
cookup to lure other european freeflighters into this group.

Wout

On 12 Jun, 12:28, Bernard Guest <b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de>
wrote:
> Maybe we should run this on HPA (hip pockets)...then others can join in.
> Bernard Guest
> Assistant Professor of Geology
> Section Geology
> Dept. of Geo- and Environmental Sciences
> Ludwig-Maximilian University
> Luisen Str. 37, 80333 Munich
> Fax: 0049 89 2180 6514
> Tel.: 0049 89 2180 6713
>
> b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de
>
> On Jun 12, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Wout Moerman wrote:
>

> > I'm in! Just let me know whether we are going to do a jet or a dime
> > scale cookup. Very generous to offer a price!
>
> > Is it possible to add pictures to this site? I haven't found out how.
> > I see the option of uploading files so maybe I must use that option?
> > I'd like to show of my CLG Fokker and in due course my Super Ace.
>
> > Wout
>
> > On 11 Jun, 11:42, Bernard Guest <b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi Wout,
> >> glad to see you are working on a dimer corben....it is a favorite of
> >> mine. Maybe we should have a little FACE dime scale cookup and postal
> >> comp?? Anyone interested?? Or if that is too hard lets do a jet
> >> catapault cookup here. I think we could all knock out a jet catapault
> >> model or two and post our flight times plus picturess.....as
> >> incentive I will send a nice kit to the winner (same goes for dime
> >> scale if we have any takers)....how does that sound?? Who is in???
> >> On Jun 11, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Wout Moerman wrote:- Hide quoted text -

Bernard Guest

Jun 12, 2008, 9:04:08 AM6/12/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
HPA is my acronym for the Hop Pocket Aeronautics site (this is the now popular alternative to SFA which seems to have died) see http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php for more info etc.
Also since my photo did not go through for some reason (maybe because I am a Mac Head) I guess we should try to use the HPA site to run our little Euro ff scale virtual contests and showcase our FACE models etc. Also i could set up a page for our little face contests on the FACE site.

On to Pete's comments: very interesting Pete sounds like you had a good time charming the RCers with the joy of freedom flies. So what part of Germany are you in??
Free flight scalers in germany are: Me, I am in Munich, Tobias is in the far north somewhere (he is an SFAer and his models fly great), Heinrich Erder is with me here in Munich (he generally flies indoor scale RC etc. but is threatening to build a pnut), There are a couple of other ff guys here too but they are P30 junkies (I think that they can't imagine a 2 minute scale model....my suspicion is that they think that scale models can only manage a few seconds before crashing disastrously). There are also a couple of other people who briefly established contact with me but then vanished and last but not least Dennis in vienna....so all told we have maybe 5 or 6 confirmed FF scalers in germany with the slim chance off adding a couple or three more in the future.
There must be more around who are "in the closet" so to speak....how to find them eh?? Maybe one of us could pen a short article for a German RC scale mag to get the word out??

So just so you all know....I am going to start a FACE cookup and contest over on the HPA site for Dime and jet catapault....if you are interested check it out in a few days time....hopefully Wout, Dennis (are you out there Dennis?) and I will have something posted by then.
Ludwig-Maximilians University
Luisen Str. 37, 80333 Munich
Fax: 0049 89 2180 6514
Tel.: 0049 89 2180 6713

Wout Moerman

Jun 12, 2008, 9:27:28 AM6/12/08
to Flying Aces Club Europe
On 12 jun, 15:04, Bernard Guest <b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de>
wrote:
> There are also a couple of other people who briefly established contact with me but then vanished.

Bernard, remember, I have never met you! I'll deny anything! Who do
you think is behind it, CIA, KGB, ....?

Dennis Kollarits

Jun 12, 2008, 10:32:22 AM6/12/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi B et al,
Am getting all the group emails.
I'm in on a Jet catapult model CU, not sure what I'll build...maybe a Temco Pinto?
The fin is rather largish, not so desirable on a glider me thinks.
Been wanting to build one for augmented Rapier power for a while, but the ongoing problem of motors blowing out makes me want to sit this one out.
I'm on the Hip Pocket Forum as well, my monicker is DennisK.
>From what I've heard Arjun is working on getting the SFA server back up, there are some problems but it should be online once the kinks have been worked out.This via Joe(Super 64) from the SOFIA list.
Now to get hunting for a good JET cat candidate...

onwards and upwards,
Dennis

Bernard Guest

Jun 12, 2008, 10:49:55 AM6/12/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
Ok folks I have started an epostal thread on HPA.... go to http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=529.0 to check the "rules" and start building.

Ok all

Wout Moerman

Jun 12, 2008, 12:08:36 PM6/12/08
to Flying Aces Club Europe
A Temco Pinto? Never heard of it but a Google search showed some pics
of an elegant plane. I think the fin is OK, you need a big fin to
compensate for the large nose and cockpit up front.

Bernard, about the rules on HPA:
- Is it open to the entire world or are you going to limit the postal
to Europe?
- I think it is wise to post a link to the FACE website, and
especially to the FAC dime scale rules
- Also nice to put a link to the free plans on Dave Livesays website
- I fully agree about the "we don't care if you don't build from an
"officially approved" plan." Just follow the dime and/or pseudo dime
scale rules.
- And if I post my results before september 1st, do I get
disqualified?
- If the model get's OOS on the 1st flight we need a photo to prove
it!

I'll translate the rules into Dutch soon and will promote it here. And
off course I'll join both contests!

Bernard Guest

Jun 12, 2008, 1:47:57 PM6/12/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wout,
good suggestions...I will be away for a few days so if you could post those links etc. please do (you are part of the "FACE crew" after all).
Also it is open to the world and photos of all participating models should be posted before the flying begins. I hope everyone is honest about this so we don't get 10 1st flight flyaway claims.

thanks in advance for the help.

Bernard Guest
Assistant Professor of Geology
Section Geology
Dept. of Geo- and Environmental Sciences
Ludwig-Maximilian University
Luisen Str. 37, 80333 Munich
Fax: 0049 89 2180 6514
Tel.: 0049 89 2180 6713

Wout Moerman

Jun 12, 2008, 2:12:28 PM6/12/08
to Flying Aces Club Europe
As much as I would like to help and post the links I really can't help
you. The thread on HPA seems to be locked (a lock is shown and the
reply button is missing) so I can't post in that thread. Can you
unlock it? Or should we start a new thread?

Wout

On 12 Jun, 19:47, Bernard Guest <b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de>
wrote:
> Hi Wout,
> good suggestions...I will be away for a few days so if you could post
> those links etc. please do (you are part of the "FACE crew" after all).
> Also it is open to the world and photos of all participating models
> should be posted before the flying begins. I hope everyone is honest
> about this so we don't get 10 1st flight flyaway claims.
>
> thanks in advance for the help.
>
> Bernard Guest
> Assistant Professor of Geology
> Section Geology
> Dept. of Geo- and Environmental Sciences
> Ludwig-Maximilian University
> Luisen Str. 37, 80333 Munich
> Fax: 0049 89 2180 6514
> Tel.: 0049 89 2180 6713
>
> b.gu...@iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de
>
> On Jun 12, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Wout Moerman wrote:
>

> > A Temco Pinto? Never heard of it but a Google search showed some pics
> > of an elegant plane. I think the fin is OK, you need a big fin to
> > compensate for the large nose and cockpit up front.
>
> > Bernard, about the rules on HPA:
> > - Is it open to the entire world or are you going to limit the postal
> > to Europe?
> > - I think it is wise to post a link to the FACE website, and
> > especially to the FAC dime scale rules
> > - Also nice to put a link to the free plans on Dave Livesays website
> > - I fully agree about the "we don't care if you don't build from an
> > "officially approved" plan." Just follow the dime and/or pseudo dime
> > scale rules.
> > - And if I post my results before september 1st, do I get
> > disqualified?
> > - If the model get's OOS on the 1st flight we need a photo to prove
> > it!
>
> > I'll translate the rules into Dutch soon and will promote it here. And
> > off course I'll join both contests!- Hide quoted text -

pb1...@arcor.de

Jun 12, 2008, 6:35:55 PM6/12/08
to fac-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
count me in for the cat. jets if I can use the WestWings F-18 chucky that I finished whileI was in rehab (just got home Sunday). Didn't get any pics of the build, but added a notch for cat launching (NOT the meow type ;)!). Might do a dimer.

Bernard and others, I'm in Roedermark. It's between Offebach/Main and Hanau. There is a group of FAI rubber endurance fliers in the Frankfurt area, one of the members was one of the chief designers for the sailplane company I used to work for (Rolladen Schneider Flugzeugbau - LS sailplanes).

Cheers, Pit

> A Temco Pinto? Never heard of it but a Google search showed some pics
> of an elegant plane. I think the fin is OK, you need a big fin to
> compensate for the large nose and cockpit up front.
>
> Bernard, about the rules on HPA:
> - Is it open to the entire world or are you going to limit the postal
> to Europe?
> - I think it is wise to post a link to the FACE website, and
> especially to the FAC dime scale rules
> - Also nice to put a link to the free plans on Dave Livesays website
> - I fully agree about the "we don't care if you don't build from an
> "officially approved" plan." Just follow the dime and/or pseudo dime
> scale rules.
> - And if I post my results before september 1st, do I get
> disqualified?
> - If the model get's OOS on the 1st flight we need a photo to prove
> it!
>
> I'll translate the rules into Dutch soon and will promote it here. And
> off course I'll join both contests!

Peter Brecker