Student at TU Darmstadt, 3D scanning system using turntable

Shengchu Luo

Sep 19, 2019, 9:56:56 AM9/19/19
to fabscan

I am a mechanical engineering student at TU Darmstadt. Our Institut PTU (Produktstechnik und Umformmaschinen) wants to build a 3D scanning system using turntable to scan small deep drawn aluminum parts. I have found the FabScanPi really close to our project, so it would be interesting for me that I can modify a FabScanPi to fit with our project, because my tutor wants to use only two industrial cameras without any laser. The attach is the concept CAD of our idea.

For me it is important to know and learn, how the RaspberryPi drives the turntable and how it interacts with the camera system. This project is also part of my bachelor thesis, it would be great if I can learn from you guys!

I am open for a conversation to provide more details!

I also post it on the Fabscan forum. I hope I can hear back from you soon!

3DscanningSystem.png

Wolfgang Schmidt

Sep 21, 2019, 10:38:53 AM9/21/19
to fabscan
Hi,

first of all this forum is dead, the new on is on https://fabscan.org/

I made something using the original desing ( not the fabscan pi) ->http://wolfgangschmidt.info/simple3dscan-download/

In the end you use either an Arduino or connect whatever you have to a stepper motor using a driver ( A4988, DRV 8825, …). You send a serial command to let the stepper perform steps.

Quick and dirty : 28BYJ-48 and ULN2003

The stepper motor is not high class, but you find a hell lot examples to drive the motor - and for small weights it should be more then enough...

For steppers with more power take a look at https://lastminuteengineers.com/drv8825-stepper-motor-driver-arduino-tutorial/ as easy entry.