Factory_girl vs Fabrication which is faster?

rakesh sukla

Mar 1, 2016, 6:11:18 PM3/1/16
to fabrication

Factory_girl vs Fabrication which is faster?

For our web testing we are using Factory_Girl but it is too slow. Firstly, we are doing integration test and need real values in the database. Some of the tests are time dependent, so re-seeding the data roughly takes more than 5 minutes. I have already gone through bunch of blogs, stack overflow threads but I am not able to find an answer to my question.

Is Fabrication faster than Factory Girl for testing?

Factory girl is definitely very popular but also it is very slow. I will highly appreciate if anyone could answer this. I know most answers will be opinion based, and I will really appreciate if you could share your experience.

Paul Elliott

Mar 1, 2016, 6:19:11 PM3/1/16
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com
In terms of database speed that really has little to do with the library. They both are using active record under the hood. Where you may find a difference is in how they initialize. Factory girl loads the whole world when the app initializes so it will have a memory footprint and slowdown app start up. Fabrication doesn't load anything until you actually try to fabricate something so it won't incur overhead unless you're using it.

Hope that helps!

-- Paul

Paul