Issue 40 in fabricate: package up for PyPI

fabr...@googlecode.com

May 26, 2013, 10:13:52 PM5/26/13
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 40 by pjimen...@gmail.com: package up for PyPI
http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/issues/detail?id=40

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1.pip search fabricate

I expect to see fabricate listed :) Instead... I don't.

Any version up to May 3rd, 2013

IWBNI projects that I work on could set up fabricate as a build-depends
much like other python test tools and etc.

issue notifications to this address.

fabr...@googlecode.com

May 26, 2013, 10:22:52 PM5/26/13
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 40 by benh...@gmail.com: package up for PyPI
http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/issues/detail?id=40

Issue 41 has been merged into this issue.

fabr...@googlecode.com

May 26, 2013, 10:23:52 PM5/26/13
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 40 by benh...@gmail.com: package up for PyPI
http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/issues/detail?id=40

Good idea!

fabr...@googlecode.com

May 28, 2013, 7:43:16 AM5/28/13
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 40 by simon.al...@gmail.com: package up for PyPI
http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/issues/detail?id=40

I will take a look at this.

I guess it goes under the banner of promoting fabricate. Will also look a
making sure we have a wikipedia entry and some cross linking with pages
related to build tools on wikipedia.

Any other ideas on how to attract a few more users?

fabr...@googlecode.com

May 28, 2013, 6:18:30 PM5/28/13
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 40 by benh...@gmail.com: package up for PyPI
http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/issues/detail?id=40

Good question.

To be honest, I'm not sure adding one's own Wikipedia page is a good idea.
Wikipedia has notability guidelines (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability#General_notability_guideline),
and I'm not sure fabricate would count at this stage in its life, os it may
well be deleted. Besides, I don't think it's actually a very practical form
of promotion.

I think http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/ and
http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/ would be a good start -- I'd be happy to
promote it there (again?). Send me an email once it's on PyPI, and I'll
promote it there.

To get on PyPI, you basically need to add a setup.py, and then a PyPI
account (easy to get) and upload it. See my symplate project for an
example: https://github.com/benhoyt/symplate

It'd probably be a good idea to add a LICENSE.txt to the source control
instead of having a separate License wiki page.

There's a good guide to "creating a Python package" here:
http://guide.python-distribute.org/creation.html

pjz

Jun 6, 2013, 9:01:39 AM6/6/13
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com, codesite...@google.com, fabr...@googlecode.com
As long as we're adding a build system (even if it's just setup.py), could we get some structure around the unit tests? make them nosetests maybe? (setup.py has a nosetest target, I think) and find a free CI site (travis or jenkins or whatever) that will re-run the tests on every push?

fabr...@googlecode.com

May 14, 2014, 10:56:19 AM5/14/14
to fabrica...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 40 by jjaq...@gmail.com: package up for PyPI
http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/issues/detail?id=40

I went ahead and created a branch of fabricate and hosted it on github
here: https://github.com/JDeuce/fabricate

I also submitted it to PyPI, so now pip, easy_install, etc users can get
fabricate.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/fabricate/

If this project is still active, and someone pulls my changes into the
mainline, I can transfer ownership of the PyPI project to the maintainers
here. Otherwise I guess I'll maintain it myself.

- J