Modulation of external bottom fluxes

Ulf Graewe

Dec 16, 2021, 4:59:23 AM12/16/21
to fabm-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I am using a simple oxygen tracer model, which reads in an external bottom flux (through GETM).
Is there a way to modulate this external flux?
The issue is that I need a spatial varying bottomflux, but I would like to add a time modulation through T/S?

A possible (but not very generic solution) would be to read in the external bottom flux through GETM and pass it to FABM as dependency and do than the T/S stuff in FABM.

Any hints?

Cheers,
ulf

--
Ulf Gräwe, Dr.

fon: +49-381-5197-358
fax: +49-381-5197-480
e-mail: ulf.g...@io-warnemuende.de
website: https://www.io-warnemuende.de/ulf-graewe-en.html
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4007-9764

Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemünde
Physical Oceanography and Instrumentation
Seestrasse 15
18119 Rostock
Germany

Jorn Bruggeman

Dec 16, 2021, 5:16:35 AM12/16/21
to fabm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ulf,

My approach would be to compute the final bottom flux in the “do_bottom” routine of a FABM module, as you suggest. The calculation at that point can depend on near-bottom temperature, salinity, and anything else that might be relevant, including a 2D field that is read-in externally (your original oxygen flux). The calculation itself could either be done inside your oxygen module, or if you’d rather leave that untouched (and more generic), you could add a small stand-alone FABM module that just computes the bottom flux and applies it to an existing state variable, in this case your oxygen tracer.

That seems about as generic as I could imagine… The alternative would be to code the logic inside GETM, I guess, but seems even more specific. When implementing it within FABM, it would at least be usable in other hosts, e.g., GOTM.

Cheers,

Jorn