Error reading initial conditions

Shajar Regev

Jan 18, 2022, 4:28:35 AM1/18/22
to FABM-users

Hi all,

I am using QWET i.e. GOTM-FABM-PCLake. I am trying to set initial condition per depth profile for biogeochemical variables. I follow the instructions on https://github.com/fabm-model/fabm/wiki/GOTM but get : FATAL ERROR:

 input::timeseries_file_update: Error reading time series from DHum.dat at line

 2

1

So GOTM was able to find the file but failed to read it correctly. The structure is exactly as the sample given. Any idea? Thanks! Shajar

The definitions in GOTM.yaml

fabm:

  input:

    abiotic_sediment/sDHumS:

      method: 2

      file: DHum.dat

      column: 1

The file DHum.dat:

2003-02-01 12:00:00    50        2

-0.45    396205

-1.34    396303

-2.23    396359

-3.13    396403

-4.02    396435

-4.92    396452

-5.81    396435

-6.7      396362

-7.6      396230

-8.49    396065

-9.38    395871

-10.28  395682

-11.17  395469

-12.06  395326

-12.96  395374

-13.85  395660

-14.75  396599

-15.64  398091

-16.53  399928

-17.43  401980

-18.32  404022

-19.21  405763

-20.11  407271

-21       409076

-21.89  411024

-22.79  414411

-23.68  418654

-24.58  422623

-25.47  425349

-26.36  427589

-27.26  429412

-28.15  430975

-29.04  432381

-29.94  433832

-30.83  435261

-31.73  436784

-32.62  438296

-33.51  439835

-34.41  441419

-35.3    443055

-36.19  444908

-37.09  447007

-37.98  449519

-38.87  452850

-39.77  457279

-40.66  462305

-41.56  468016

-42.45  477876

-43.34  482751

-44.24  485135

Jorn Bruggeman

Jan 18, 2022, 8:29:15 AM1/18/22
to fabm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shajar,

It looks like abiotic_sediment/sDHumS is a depth-independent (benthic?) variable, which means it does not have a depth profile. The file format for prescribing such variable is described here:

https://github.com/fabm-model/fabm/wiki/GOTM#depth-independent-variables

Cheers,

Jorn

Shajar Regev

Jan 18, 2022, 8:46:58 AM1/18/22
to FABM-users
Hi Jorn, the abiotic_sediment/sDHumS is depth dependent. The values I use are is actually pooled from the restart.nc file.
Maybe it is miss-classified somewhere as depth independent?
Thanks, Shajar

Shajar Regev

Jan 24, 2022, 7:12:48 AM1/24/22
to FABM-users
Hi Jorn  and all,
I tried to enter the initial condition file as if the variable is depth independent (i.e. only one value per date). it doesn't produce an error, but since this variable is depth dependent - the value is set to the first layer only. The value for the other layers comes from fabm.yaml - but again, only one value, not per depth.
So to conclude: the bug is that the variable  abiotic_sediment/sDHumS is treated by mistake as depth independent where it is depth dependent.
Where is this defined? maybe it's easy to fix?
Thanks, Shajar