get_light() -> prepare_inputs() transition

Carsten Lemmen

Jun 15, 2021, 10:56:16 AM6/15/21
to FABM-users
Dear Jorn et al,

in the transition from FABM0 to FABM1 the get_ligth() routine is deprecated and supposedly replaced by prepare_inputs().  But somehow we didn't get it right, the light does not appear correct after prepare_inputs()

Is there anything we need to implement on the model's side?  I saw elsewhere that you talked about  light:do_column, zenith_angle:do_surface and attenuation:do, are this internally provided interfaces, do we need to call them explicitly, or, do we have to implement those interfaces?

Thanks,
Carsten

Jorn Bruggeman

Jun 15, 2021, 11:27:07 AM6/15/21
to fabm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Carsten,

Prepare_inputs should call any “do_column” (or the old name: “get_light”) routine that biogeochemical models provide, as long as FABM determines that the output of that routine is “needed”. That means “needed” by any other biogeochemical module (e.g., phytoplankton depending on light), or if any of the routine’s diagnostics have been selected for output (determined by the “save” attribute). Note that this works only if the diagnostics calculated by do_column/get_light have been correctly registered with source=source_do_column (e.g., https://github.com/fabm-model/fabm/blob/98b6334e000a0556713432d81b02afd922634ca9/src/models/gotm/light.F90#L57).

If this doesn’t explain your issue: can you determine whether the get_light routine is actually called, e.g., by having it write out some message, or adding “stop”?

Cheers,

Jorn