To potential model developers ....

Karsten Bolding

Jun 10, 2021, 2:44:08 AM6/10/21
to GETM-devel, GETM-users, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com

The following is intended for those who might be interested in participating as an active model developer.

We have for quite a while been working on a rewrite of the GETM code - www.getm.eu.

The main objective is to get an easier to maintain code-base, easier to extend/expand and last but not least easier to operate as a user.

The core functionality of the GETM master branch is maintained and we have added a few things that might be useful.

We have used Modern Fortran - especially the concept of derived types - and together with a combination of Git submodules and CMake to make software configuration and compilation seamlessly.

We have chosen to use a dual-language approach. The core hydrodynamic algorithms - i.e. RANS - is implemented in Fortran90. Everything else is implemented in Python. This implies that handling of domain configuration, boundary conditions, airsea forcing, saving results and time integration is done on the Python side - and only in the actual time-loop is the Fortran code accessed through compiled shared libraries.

Together with a few early birds we have now reach a state where we can actually run things - still not full blown 3D simulations - but rather a series of small examples each high-lighting specific features/processes of the model. The dual language approach makes developing setups targeting specific features quite easy and we have been using - and will present - Jupyter Notebooks illustrating this.

For those interested in participating in further development we will like to have an online session where we will go through the design choices and also show the present status.

We plan to have a similar session in the autumn where the target audience will be potential users - instead of potential developers.

Through this link it is possible to run a few cases without installing anything:
https://github.com/BoldingBruggeman/GETM2-notebooks
Click on 'launch binder' - note it might take a few minutes to be ready.
In the notebook folder are 3 small Jupyter notebooks to try out.
It is also possible to launch a Terminal and run a small python script:
python tests/test_2d_transport.py

We plan on Friday June 29th an 14 UTC - please adjust for summer time where applicable.

If you are interested in participating please send a mail to kar...@bolding-bruggeman.com and I'll add you. Later I'll provide a link to a Zoom-meeting.

Best regards,
Karsten and Jorn

Karsten Bolding

Jun 10, 2021, 7:04:50 AM6/10/21
to GETM-devel, GETM-users, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have been made aware by a few people that I managed to mix up date and day. The planned time is Friday June 25th at 14 UTC.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
Karsten

Fenjuan Hu

Jun 10, 2021, 2:57:32 PM6/10/21
to gotm-...@googlegroups.com, GETM-devel, GETM-users, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com
OK, Karsten, I think I will wait until the users meeting then.
Big congratulations on the progress! And good luck with ongoing and future progress. I look forward to updates soon.

Kh Fen

Sendt fra min iPhone

Karsten Bolding

Jun 25, 2021, 4:51:44 AM6/25/21
to GETM-devel, GETM-users, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, gotm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com, fabm-...@googlegroups.com
Just to be sure at the times - as Jorn and I got confused between us

it is 15 British Summer Time and 16 Central European Summer Time.

And please join some minutes before for a virtual ice-breaker