Apollo

ucbvax!works

Mar 14, 1982, 6:44:51 PM3/14/82
>From BUSH@Usc-Isie Tue Mar 9 07:01:39 1982

Date: 6-Mar-82 1600-EST
From: Nathaniel Mishkin <Mishkin.YALE>
Subject: Re: Innovation

The window problem is a typical example of Apollo's approach.
I'm sure they wanted the whole zippy window thing from the start. ...

I believe it is typical. I've been working with the Apollos for almost a year
and I happen to know that Apollo was unfamiliar with the Alto when they
designed and implemented their original display manager. I wish they had taken
more time and looked around more before releasing their system. A la PR1ME,
they produced an initial product as quickly as possible, and have since refined
it (with the aid of substantial user feedback). Xerox, on the other hand (with
considerably greater resources) refined the Star before releasing it. I also
wish the system were more flexible (in the general direction of the Lisp
machine). Currently, for example, you either use the Apollo display manager
in its entirety, or write your own. There is no way, for example, to replace
the display manager's editor with your own. Assuredly, the product will
mature, but it could be less restrictive and could easily have been more
mature to begin with.
-------