Links to Minds

1 view

Gary Munch

Jun 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/26/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
Hi all,
Back from typo[media]2000 and the Gutenberg festivals in Mainz, and thought
I'd fill in on some highlight items (nothing as extensive as the
Hollingsworth Report from TypeCon; more of a gloss). Skipped a few for
sightseeing, jet-lag recovery nap, and discussions, so not all are included.

Tag1
Prof Dr Ernst Pöppel gave an intellectually stimulating discourse on some
researches into the ways we know; explicitly, implicitly, and
imagistically. How do we know we know we know . . .

Prof Wolfgang Henseler talked about information interfaces and the way
people interact with them.

Jaan Noolandi talked about epaper, a research project at Xerox PARC that is
capable of making changeable sheets with text or images.

Prof Manfred Becker showed clips of typography in TV and film, with titles
(always the part of a film of greatest interest to us) from movies and also
Werbug announcements -- German TV makes sure that the kids know there's an
ad coming up, just as kid programming does in the US -- all very well made
and effective.

The first events were followed by a Hot TechnoParty in the Kulturzentrum;
very hot time had by all :-) (As the Europeans are aware, those were the
30C+ days). Beer in the Platz aided immensely!

Tag2
Hans Ed. Meier spoke about his work, from its development from his
calligraphic and palæographic studies and teachings into his typefaces
(Barbedor, Syndor, and Syntax). This is a fascinating mind, and we are
fortunate to have his gentle understanding still. He closed with a
forcefull call to reduce and prevent typeface piracy.

Prof Niklaus Troxler spoke about his work, especially for the jazz festivl
posters. wonderfully engaging work.

Lila Talarico talked about the MFA program at School of Visual Arts NYC
[hmm, should get me one a' them there thangs].

Brian "Treefrog/Texas Hero" Willson spoke about the irony of making digital
script faces from antique manuscript letters, usually from pre-US Civil War
writers. He also talked about how he made the switch from shareware to
commercialware, and its implications. <http://www.3ip.com/>Three Island
Press

Visited the workshop areas and had a taste of...
Lida Lopes Cardozo Kindersley slate-cutting. It's not easy. Not easy at
all. At all. Yet their work is fluid and graceful, strong and lasting.
Gruppe 26 were in fulll force making great calligraphic letter
compositions. Sigh. My hand twitches too much, I grip too tight, press too
hard. Sigh. These are the real thing.

evenig include a Phantastiches Presentation of the 3rd Linotype Library
International Type Design Contest. Facenames all are prefixed -Linotype-.

HM
Aleksandr Tarbeev "den Haag" superfamily LaCyGkArHb (!)

Fun
3 Stefan Pott "Dimension"
2 Inke Menne "Grassy"
2 Stefan Pott "Henri Axsis"

Display
3 Isabell Stutz "Belle"
2 Paul van der Laan "Rezident"
2 Franciszek Otto "Notec"

Text
3 G MunchieMunch "Really"
2 Andreas Koch "Project"

And a Drumroll Please!

1 Akira Kobayashi "Conrad"

Prima!

Much Partying After!

Tag3
Discussed in depth some fine points of Cyrillic type design with Aleks . .
. 'fraid I missed the morning sessions, got too rowdy at the hotel and had
to move (no, not really, but did have to move).
Spazieren with Dennis <http://wwwgalapagosdesign.com/> Pasternak gehen,
great bookstores and WineStubes. Mainz Alt Stadt is a very comfortable
place to be in.
End typo[media]2000

Tag4
Gutenberg Fever Grips Mainz! Party Time All Over! Fest! Feier! Spiel!
Spass! Bier! Frölich Geburtstag 600!

Grüße,

Gary

PS: Guck emol <http://members.aol.com/gmunch/Really/index.html>
( [House] button to reframe )
Medium and Demi, Rom & Ital. this summer on Take Type 3 by Linotype Library
<http://www.linotypelibrary.com/>
G.

Gary Munch
gmu...@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/munchfonts/
Type & Type Design

Roy Preston

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
>Back from typo[media]2000

Great, Gary. Thanks for the lowdown.

>How do we know we know we know . . .

Fascinating, I bet!

>He closed [Hans Ed] with a

>forcefull call to reduce and prevent typeface piracy.

Any specifics on this one?

>3 G MunchieMunch "Really"

Congrats!

Roy P

Rolf F. Rehe

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
åary,

thanks for the report from the Gutenberg Festival - wish I had been
there...Do you know if there will be a print or online publication
of the presentations? I am especially interested in Hans Ed. Meier's
talk.

Rolf
Design Research International
- Quality and Innovation -
e-mail: re...@rehedesign.com
Web site: www.rehedesign.com

Gary Munch

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
>åary,
>
>thanks for the report from the Gutenberg Festival - wish I had been
>there...Do you know if there will be a print or online publication
>of the presentations? I am especially interested in Hans Ed. Meier's
>talk.

Hmm, the conference was videotaped, and the speeches were mostly read, and
the visuals were electronically projected, so there is a record. I'll ask
the LL people if there's a publication in mind; that would depend too on
the speakers permissions of course.

I should also say that one of the best things about these conferences is
the way we meet in meatspace, off the Net and in person. Having lunch with
someone, or sharing a smoking stand, or walking through the exhibits (TDC,
Frutiger, Gutenberg press, etc.) is still the finest way to connect to each
other. It's on a human level, unmediated by devices and gadgets or even by
print. Beautiful.

Gary

Gary Munch

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
>>He closed [Hans Ed] with a
>>forcefull call to reduce and prevent typeface piracy.
>
>Any specifics on this one?

Hmm, he accepted the sense of a designer being influenced by previous
works, in the way giants stand on giants' shoulders; not pleased with
knockoffs or blatant appropriation of software or design. It was a short
statement, but necessary -- and appropriate.

G.