Font want

Michael Brady

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
Yesterday, I created a font with Fontographer 4.1.5. It consisted only of two
characters, which were the outlines of two signatures, so the user could type C
for one signature or W for the other.

I named the font in the Font Info box, so the .fog file was named correctly. In
the individual glyph windows, I removed overlaps and correct path directions, so
looped letters had open counters in them, etc. I used the kerning window to
check for character width, kerns, etc.

Then I generated the fonts. I used Macintosh encoding, made a Type 1 font, and
specified NFNT bitmaps in only one size, 18pt. I produced two fonts, the PS
outlines and the screen bitmaps. They looked okay. Even ATM Deluxe recognized
them and produced smooth screen rasters of them.

I tested them by creating a PageMaker 6.5 document and typing the two letters.
The signatures appeared fine onscreen (ATM was correctly interpreting them for
screen display).

But when I printed to our Acceler-riter, ka-thud. Colurier cap C and W. I
checked the PM print optios, and downloading Type 1 fonts was enabled. But I
still got the font substitution. When I tried it in FreeHand 7, it locked up on
me!

Any suggestions?

Danke schoen.

-------------------
Michael Brady
16 Pedestal Rock Lane
Durham, NC 27712
Voice 919 471 9554 fax 919 962 2707
jbr...@email.unc.edu http://www.unc.edu/~jbrady/index.html

Roy Preston

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
to TYP...@listserv.heanet.ie
>Any suggestions?

How complex are the outlines of each individual glyph, Michael? Sounds to
me as if the printer is having problems with the rasterising? Might be
better to split each sig. in two?

Roy P