Half-duplex European modems

Halse...@xerox.arpa

Oct 14, 1985, 1:48:00 PM10/14/85
We've gotten a pair of Micom-Borer "Blackbox Datamodems", and are having
trouble getting them working on our phone lines.

We have one set up to auto-answer, and it does, but it goes on-hook on
the first character it receives from the other side. Is there some
difference between the European system and our phone system (Pacific
Telephone) that keeps them from working?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Also, does anyone build a telephone line emulator that we could use to
eliminate the need for two of Ma Bell's lines?

Thanks,
Ian Halsema
Xerox Corp.