MI DD service co-location/merging

Paul D. Kolstoe,Ph.D.

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
to BEHA...@listserv.nodak.edu
Dear Listmembers,

The North Dakota Legislature is investigating the the potential advantages and disadvantages of merging our psychiatric hospital and developmental center operations into the same physical plant.  It is still an open question whether services would be merged or kept "separate".  We have been asked to seek out situations where this has been done, or considered, and gather opinions or facts about the process.

I would appreciate your assistance in this effort by off-list responses from any that HAS SUCH EXPERIENCE, or KNOWS SOMEONE who does.  Many people may also want to offer an opinion about other transformation alternatives.  Those are being considered under a separate process, so we would LIKE to focus just on actual co-location/merger situations.  We assume most instances have been state-operated, but if private facilities have done the so the experience would be great to hear about.

The movement of people with MI and with DD into smaller supported residences has occurred all over the United States, and it has been extensive in North Dakota, resulting in two small facilities with significant -- separate -- overhead.  We continue to serve a small number of people for whom private providers have not offered chosen services primarily due to medical/ behavioral/ psychiatric support concerns in our highly rural state.  This is NOT an effort to further institutionalize more people, but to consider a more economic use of intensive services (MI and DD) for the small number that do appear to need the services.

We need to collate the information before early September.  Thank you for your time!

Please Address E-mail to:  pdk...@state.nd.us

Paul
PAUL D. KOLSTOE, Ph.D.-FAAMR      \\      //    \\   \\
Director of Psychology       ,->* \\      \\   ||   //
ND Developmental Center ----'      \\      \\  ||  //
701 W 6th St-Grafton, ND 58237-1399 \\       \\ || //
PH: 701\352-4444  FAX:  701/352-4570 \\       \\/\//    of
            E-MAIL CONNECTIONS:       \\        \/    Psych-DD
        pkol...@plains.nodak.edu     \\        ||    Listserv
            pdk...@state.nd.us         \\       ||    Discussion