I like Listmanager's messages better than those from Listmanager

John Eshleman

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
to BEHA...@listserv.nodak.edu
listm...@www.virtualcommunity.org writes:

<< Regarding the email coming from Listmanager, this is true. Soon
Behav-An will be identified as well as the sender, we have some new
software to configure first, so hold on for a bit, the new identifier
will be coming. >>

Well, I hope so. One of the benefits of old "Behav-An" was the
ability to simply delete, unread, messages posted by certain
individuals. Now, until that new software is configured, one
has to open a message from listmanager to see who sent it.
And then make the decision about deleting it.

Also, as you can see in the reply tag prepended to the front of
the body of this message, I am replying to "listmanager." Now,
I know the actual person to whom I am replying, but does anyone
else?

<< If your reader (and some of the more primitive ones are indeed
like you refer to) do not let you click on the actual text

To reply: mailto:behav-...@www.virtualcommunity.org
To start new topic: mailto:beha...@www.virtualcommunity.org
To login: http://www.virtualcommunity.org:8080/~behav-an

then all you have to do is copy the address and manually send the reply
(just like you would have had to do with the OLD Behav-An anyway, so
there's no disadvantage here) >>

Let me resay this: AOL 4.0 email does, as a matter of fact, permit
clickable links in the body of a message. And let me repeat an
irony: In a recent message you sent from OLD "Behav-An", some
clickable links showed up underlined and in blue. What's interesting is
that, at least in this case, the new "Behav-An" doesn't have clickable
links. Since AOL 4.0 can and does permit and handle clickable links
in an email message, I don't see the problem as being on AOL's
end.

-- Not the listmanager.

Behav-An, the original and premier Internet site for behavior analysis has moved to the
Behavioral Virtual Community (BVC) of the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies.

To join Behav-An, please go to: http://www.virtualcommunity.org:8080/~behav-an
and sign up as a new member on the Login Page.

What do I do on the Login Page?

There are three options presented: GUEST- this is an easy way to see
what's going on in BVC, without actually participating. But don't be a
"lurker!" BVC is a friendly place, and we welcome your participation. In
fact, it won't be the same without it. Don't be intimidated by posts by
names you recognize- even senior behavior analysts tend to be
approachable, particularly if you have something interesting to
contribute. When you click the Guest button, you will be taken to the main
BVC display. NEW USERS- this is what you want right now. Clicking on this
button will take you to a New User Information screen, where you will be
asked to enter certain basic information about yourself, as well as to
choose a Login name and a Password (don't forget to enter it twice to
confirm it!). You will also have a choice to make to "use frames" or not-
we recommend you use frames so that you can always see the list of
conferences in the left frame while other content is swapped in and out of
the right frame. Your Login name has to be unique, so don't be surprised
if you are told that your first choice is already taken- just try again.
There is more information that you can add later (find out how) to fill
out your profile for the benefit of other BVC participants who might want
to know a little more about you, such as your background, training,
interests, and current work. NAME and PASSWORD Login- this is for users
who have already gone through the process of establishing a Login name and
password. Don't forget to click the box marked "remember my password." It
will save you the trouble of logging in every time. When you click on the
Enter button, you will be taken to the main BVC display.

Once you are logged in and join us at the BVC at the Cambridge Center, you
can set your options.

Most of the conferences of BVC will be set up to allow participation by
e-mail for those who prefer this mode instead of through the user
interface of a web browser. However, this capability isn't automatically
enabled for each individual, since most will probably prefer the richer
experience of dealing with BVC through the web.

Choose the Format

Edit Your Profile. Near the bottom are three mutually exclusive "radio
buttons" labeled Non-digest, Digest, and Digest / ZIPped. Non-digest -
each message from a conference in which you participate via mailing list
will show up individually. Digest-once a day, you will get a mail
message containing all traffic from the previous 24 hours for that
conference. Digest/ZIPped - like Digest, but smaller because it's ZIPped.
You have to unZIP it before you can read it, but the download will go
quicker.

After you make any changes, don't forget to SAVE your profile.

Mailing Lists

Choose More... and then choose Mailing Lists. You will see a list of all
conferences on the current virtual board. Beside each one is a checkbox.
Check the conferences you want to come to you via e-mail.

Replying to a Posting

This could be a source of confusion, so pay particular attention to this.
DO NOT try to reply by simply using the reply button on your e-mail
browser! True, this will send a reply to "Listserver" but it won't be
properly posted to BVC. In fact, it may be bounced back to you.
Notice that the e-mail you received from BVC Listserver and the way it is
formatted. At the bottom of the message (if there are multiple messages in
a digest, it will be the line before the next message starts), there is a
very specific e-mail address which contains the name of the mailing list
and the number of the post to which you are replying, e.g.
mailto:behav-...@www.virtualcommunity.org sends a reply to message 168
in the conference which has radicalbehaviorist as its mailing list. Reply
to that address ^ depending on what e-mail client you are using, it might
be as easy as clicking on the link that it makes for you out of this
mailto: address.

Posting a New Topic

In the previous example, we replied to a specific message in the
conference which has the radicalbehaviorist mailing list. If you want to
post a new message (start a new topic) in that conference, just send your
message to beha...@www.virtualcommunity.org You can always find the name
of the mailing list in other messages you've received from a particular
conference.

That's all there is to it. If you have any questions, please email me
directly at: joseph...@brown.edu or Ken Stephens at: k...@operant.com.

Our new web conferencing offers online Help for all major features,
and there is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you have
questions about a feature, look for the help button on the menubar
or read the FAQ. If you still can't figure it out, or if you have
trouble logging in the first time, send me an e-mail and I will
try to help.

We hope you join us at the Behavioral Virtual Community. Remember, just go to:

http://www.virtualcommunity.org:8080/~behav-an