LAUNCH OF PIONEERING ANIMAL ETHICS BOOK SERIES
The publisher Palgrave Macmillan in partnership with the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics is delighted to announce the launch of a ground-breaking book series in a new field of enquiry: animal ethics.
The new Palgrave Macmillan book series will be jointly edited by the internationally known theologian the Reverend Professor Andrew Linzey, Director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, and Professor Priscilla Cohn, Emeritus Professor in Philosophy at Penn State University and Associate Director of the Centre. The book series will publish pioneering work written by new and established academics from a wide range of disciplines including anthropology, ethics, history, law, literature, linguistics, political theory, religion and science. The aim of the series is to provide a range of key introductory and advanced texts that map out ethical positions on animals.
Palgrave Macmillan aims to publish the first set of books in early 2010. Commenting on the new series Professor Linzey notes, “Interest in the ethics of our treatment of animals has increased markedly over the last 40 years. This series will explore the challenges that Animal Ethics poses, both conceptually and practically, to traditional understanding of human- animal relations.”
Academics working in relevant areas of enquiry are invited to send ideas and proposals via email to Professor Andrew Linzey, Director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics by emailing dire...@oxfordanimalethics.com to request a proposal form.
For more press information please contact Professor Andrew Linzey, Director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics on (+44) (0)1865 201565 or email dire...@oxfordanimalethics.com<mailto:dire...@oxfordanimalethics.com> or Priyanka Pathak, Commissioning Editor, Philosophy & Linguistics, Palgrave Macmillan, on: +44 (0) 1256 302698 or email P.Pa...@Palgrave.com<mailto:P.Pa...@Palgrave.com>.
Notes to editors
* The Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics was founded in 2006 by its director Professor Andrew Linzey, is an independent Centre with the aim of pioneering ethical perspectives on animals through academic, research, teaching and publication. The Centre has more than 50 Fellows drawn from a variety of academic disciplines from throughout the world. For more information about the Centre and its Fellows please see its website at www.oxfordanimalethics.com<http://www.oxfordanimalethics.com/>.
* The Revd Professor Andrew Linzey is a Member of the Faculty of Theology, University of Oxford. He has written or edited 20 books, including Animal Theology (SCM Press/University of Illinois Press, 1994) and Creatures of the Same God (Winchester University Press, 2007).
* Professor Priscilla N. Cohn is Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Abington College, Penn State University. She has taught courses on animal ethics for 35 years, and lectured on five continents. Her books include Contraception in Wildlife, Book 1 (Edwin Mellen Press, 1996) and Ethics and Wildlife (Edwin Mellen Press, 1999).
* The Centre is dedicated to the memory of the celebrated Catalan philosopher José Ferrater Mora. His prodigious scholarship is widely acclaimed, and the Centre honours his name because of his outstanding contribution to humanitarian thought, particularly in the area of animal ethics.
* Palgrave Macmillan is a major force in international publishing with a long track record of success in academic publishing. For details of Palgrave Macmillan’s current lists please see its website at www.palgrave.com<http://www.palgrave.com/>.
Messages to the list are archived at http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/philos-l.html.
Prolonged discussions should be moved to chora: enrol via
Other philosophical resources on the Web can be found at http://www.liv.ac.uk/pal.