manpages under i386 sub directory and what about amd64?

1 view

Jeremy C. Reed

Mar 7, 2008, 5:46:04 PM3/7/08
to netbs...@netbsd.org
mbrlabel manpage references mbr(8). But:

tx:src$ man mbr
man: no entry for mbr in the manual.

It is at /usr/share/man/man8/i386/mbr.8

I don't see any setting in man.conf or in man manpage about this.

man.conf does say:

If on a machine of type ``vax'', the subdirectory ``vax'' in each
directory would be searched as well, before the directory was
searched.

Well that explains that. I am on amd64 not i386. So my system has
platform specific manpages for 30 different platforms, but none for amd64.

Should the SEE ALSO in mbrlabel(8) mention i386 for the mbr(8)?

This works fine:

man i386/mbr

Jeremy C. Reed

Jeremy C. Reed

Mar 14, 2008, 10:07:28 AM3/14/08
to port...@netbsd.org, port-...@netbsd.org

So I was told about open PR #36350 "Many man pages missing on amd64"
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=36350 which
appears to have a fix (by having a common new category "x86"), but I
haven't tested yet.

What is the status with this?

(I bcc'd the original list I posted this on so others can know where the
conversation moved to. I cc'd port-i386 since this is for i386 man pages
too.)