how to do locale and date?

Jeremy C. Reed

Feb 27, 2008, 5:22:49 PM2/27/08
to netbs...@netbsd.org
I ran:

locale -a | while read line ; do LC_ALL=$line date +%B ; done | uniq

and resulted in one line:

February

How can I get "the locale's full month name" to be printed?

Can anyone share examples of what they use locales for on NetBSD in
default install?

I have NetBSD 4.0_RC4.

Thanks

Jeremy C. Reed

Staffan Thomén

Mar 2, 2008, 4:07:21 PM3/2/08
to Jeremy C. Reed, netbs...@netbsd.org

On 28 feb 2008, at 00.23, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

snip date

> How can I get "the locale's full month name" to be printed?
>
> Can anyone share examples of what they use locales for on NetBSD in
> default install?

You're doing it exactly right as far as I know (though I suppose
"LANG" is the preferred variable)

The problem as far as I can see from my 3.1 install is that there
simply aren't any messages for date,
see /usr/share/locale/<base locale name>/LC_MESSAGES/*, where base
locale name is the first bit of the locale,
like uk, fi, kr..

Maybe some kind people would translate base at least?

Staffan.

--
Staffan Thomen 1024D/7C7E2EF8
Sed quis custodied ipsos Custodes?