wanted: analog to procmail's lockfile

Aleksey Cheusov

Oct 7, 2007, 2:32:44 PM10/7/07
to netbs...@netbsd.org
Does anybody know more or less well known replacement for
"lockfile" utility shipped with procmail?

I'd prefer standalone utility that is distributed without so heavy baggage.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.

Christos Zoulas

Oct 7, 2007, 10:06:25 PM10/7/07
to netbs...@netbsd.org
In article <s93tzp2...@chen.chizhovka.net>,

Aleksey Cheusov <netbs...@netbsd.org> wrote:
>Does anybody know more or less well known replacement for
>"lockfile" utility shipped with procmail?
>
>I'd prefer standalone utility that is distributed without so heavy baggage.

shlock?

christos

Aleksey Cheusov

Feb 28, 2008, 1:54:11 PM2/28/08
to Christos Zoulas, netbs...@netbsd.org

> shlock?

Unfortunately shlock cannot WAIT until lockfile is freed :-(

while ! shlock ...; do
sleep xxx;
done

looks ugly

Simon Truss

Feb 28, 2008, 2:12:21 PM2/28/08
to netbs...@netbsd.org

what about setlock in daemontools.

Simon

Aleksey Cheusov

Feb 28, 2008, 3:54:02 PM2/28/08
to Simon Truss, netbs...@netbsd.org

>>> shlock?
>>
>> Unfortunately shlock cannot WAIT until lockfile is freed :-(
>>
>> while ! shlock ...; do
>> sleep xxx;
>> done
>>
>> looks ugly
>>

> what about setlock in daemontools.

WARNING: daemontools-0.76nb1 may not be put on a CD-ROM:
WARNING: modified source and binaries may not be distributed
WARNING: daemontools-0.76nb1 may not be made available through FTP:
WARNING: modified source and binaries may not be distributed

Also running child process doesn't look good.
shlock's way suits my needs better.

Eric d'Alibut

Feb 28, 2008, 6:56:16 PM2/28/08
to netbs...@netbsd.org
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:5 PM, Aleksey Cheusov <che...@tut.by> wrote:

> > what about setlock in daemontools.

> WARNING: daemontools-0.76nb1 may not be put on a CD-ROM:
> WARNING: modified source and binaries may not be distributed
> WARNING: daemontools-0.76nb1 may not be made available through FTP:
> WARNING: modified source and binaries may not be distributed

daemontools is one of the packages djb recently put into public domain:

http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

Best,

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely