30MB memory usage for 10 page document?

Adam At Epsilon

Sep 30, 2011, 9:59:34 AM9/30/11
Hi, we have problems with using lout in an embedded environment. We
have a document which ends up being about 10 pages long, 8 of these
pages are a table of values, 5 columns wide. While lout runs, it
consumes up to 30-40 MB of memory, think this is excessive for a
PostScript document which is only about 84Kbytes when done. I have
tried using the -M flag to no avail, memory consumtion is identical.
When I use the lout -dma switch I can see that about 6MB of dynamic
allocations are used, so I wonder where the rest of the memory is used
up? Does it use a recursive algorithm that grows the stack? This is
lout version 3.39. Thankful for any tips. We are using an embedded
ARM9 cpu with 128 MB ram.