Pertec MyTape 3200 (QIC 3020)

Rodney Fisk

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
Hi gang,

I have a Pertec MyTape 3200.
Has anyone gotten it working with ftape?
I think it's a Seagate brand.

TIA
Rod Fisk<axce...@bellsouth.net>

Tim Jones

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
to Rodney Fisk
Rodney Fisk wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I have a Pertec MyTape 3200.
> Has anyone gotten it working with ftape?
> I think it's a Seagate brand.

Negative - Pertec is Pertec. But, it works fine with ftape 4.x since
this particular drive is their TR-3 drive. And, you MUST use an
accelerator card to get 3020 mode. Otherwise, the tapes will need to be
formatted as 3010 (half the capacity).

--
Tim Jones tjo...@estinc.com
Vice President Visit our tape backup web pages:

Rodney Fisk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to Tim Jones
Hi,

Thanks for the info.
I have gotten the tape to respond to the retention command.
But it is set readonly, so I can't do anything else.
The ftape Release notes said that that prob had been corrected, but
evidently not on mine.
Any advice?

Additionally, what accelerator card?
That isn't mentioned in the ftape docs (or at least I missed it) or in my
Pertec docs.

TIA
Rodney Fisk<axce...@bellsouth.net>

Tim Jones

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to Rodney Fisk
Rodney Fisk wrote:

Rodney,

It'll work with any of the 2Mb/sec controllers - Exabyte, Seagate, or
Iomega. I believe that you'll discover that the read-only state is
related to using a 3020 tape at the 512K/sec or 1Mb/sec rate, instead of
the 2Mb/sec rate. Once you get the accelerator, things should improve.
Oh, which version of ftape are you using?

Rodney Fisk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to Tim Jones
Hi,
I'm using the ftape drivers in the 2.2.5-ac3 kernel.
Does that correspond to 4.02?
I considered downloading 4.03-pre2, but haven't done it yet.
I noticed last night that I couldn't unload my ftape modules, so I rebooted
this morning and loaded fewer of them.
Only ftape, zftape, and tpqic02 are loaded now.
Ftape-tool recognizes the drive and I can get the correct size and do a listing
of the drive.
So, I try xbru and it refuses to recognize the drive.
I've put the info in via the gui and via text editor directly to /etc/brutab.
I even commented out the defaults in there and it flat refuses to offer my tape
as a device to backup to.
I'm using the personal edition which came w/RH 5.
BTW, I tried writing to it w/tar, but it hung after the first three files in
the directory I was backing up.
Hope this is enough info.

Sincerely,
Rodney Fisk

Tim Jones

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to Rodney Fisk
Rodney,

Nope - those are still 3.04d. Please answer NO to the kernel configure
optiosn for ftape and grab the latest version from Claus' site. They
will still be modules, but they work a lot better. The main secret - do
not use the ftape drivers in the kernel tree.

Tim

Rodney Fisk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to Tim Jones
Hi,

Thanks!
I thought those suckers would be more up to date.
I'll get the new ones right now and let you know about my progress.

Sincerely,
Rod.

Tim Jones wrote:

> Rodney,
>
> Nope - those are still 3.04d. Please answer NO to the kernel configure
> optiosn for ftape and grab the latest version from Claus' site. They
> will still be modules, but they work a lot better. The main secret - do
> not use the ftape drivers in the kernel tree.
>
> Tim

Bob Nielsen

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
I have an Iomega Ditto Easy 3200 with the Ditto Dash 2 MB/s accelerator
card and have had no problems with ftape-3.04d. After reading this
thread, I recompiled the 2.2.6 kernel w/o tape support and installed
ftape-4.x-1999_03_29. I have tried over and over and mostly the drive
seems to be recognized but I can't get any operations to actually
execute. I keep getting messages like:

ftmt: /dev/nqft0: Input/output error

I checked the /proc entries and /proc/ftape/0/cartridge reported:

cartridge not formatted

However this cartridge worked fine with ftape-3.04d. Trying to format
gives:

Unknown format API version. Giving up.

Any ideas before I give up and return to 3.04d?

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen Internet: nie...@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ AMPRnet: w6...@w6swe.ampr.org

Tim Jones

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to Bob Nielsen

Bob,

Honestly, yours is a case where upgrading doesn't really buy you
anything. The latest version is only required for the newer drives (the
Pertec being one of them). Your Ditto Easy 3200 was one of the first
drives that properly worked under 3.04d in the TR-3 family.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

--
Tim Jones tjo...@estinc.com
Vice President Visit our tape backup web pages:

Bob Nielsen

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
to Tim Jones
Well, that's a relief (for now, at least). I'm not all that impressed
with the drive, but that's another story....

Bob

Perry Gilfillan

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
to tape linux
Bob,

Since you have gone to effort of building the latest ftape release, you now
need the latest ftape-tools release....

http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/%7Eheine/ftape/archives/ftape-tools/unstable

the 3-17 release was missing a few make files... here is how I fixed it:

The first problem I detected was that the doc/etc directory was not
provided with a Makefile.in

Using automake, I was able to get past this problem.

The next thing was that _all_ of the Makefile's in the doc tree had
SHELL=@SHELL@ rather than SHELL=/bin/sh

After fixing this in the various subdirectories of doc, the tools
made
succesfully.

I realize now that the SHELL=@SHELL@ was looking for my environment setting,
but it just would not work... My environment does include SHELL=/bin/bash

Hope this gets you going.

Perry

Tim Jones wrote:

> Bob Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > I have an Iomega Ditto Easy 3200 with the Ditto Dash 2 MB/s accelerator
> > card and have had no problems with ftape-3.04d. After reading this
> > thread, I recompiled the 2.2.6 kernel w/o tape support and installed
> > ftape-4.x-1999_03_29. I have tried over and over and mostly the drive
> > seems to be recognized but I can't get any operations to actually
> > execute. I keep getting messages like:
> >
> > ftmt: /dev/nqft0: Input/output error
> >
> > I checked the /proc entries and /proc/ftape/0/cartridge reported:
> >
> > cartridge not formatted
> >
> > However this cartridge worked fine with ftape-3.04d. Trying to format
> > gives:
> >
> > Unknown format API version. Giving up.
> >
> > Any ideas before I give up and return to 3.04d?
> >
> > Bob

Rodney Fisk

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
to Tim Jones
Hi gang,

Got 4.02 and 4.03-pre2.
Neither will build, and each ends with the exact same error.
I redirected the output of the make, so that anyone can take a look at it and give
me a hand.
I have pgcc-1.1.3(egcs-1.1.2), glibc-2.1, kernel-2.2.6.
Thanks in advance.
Rod Fisk<axce...@bellsouth.net>

Tim Jones wrote:

> Rodney,
>
> Nope - those are still 3.04d. Please answer NO to the kernel configure
> optiosn for ftape and grab the latest version from Claus' site. They
> will still be modules, but they work a lot better. The main secret - do
> not use the ftape drivers in the kernel tree.
>
> Tim

log

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
Hi!

Trying to kill the keyboard, axce...@bellsouth.net produced:

> I have pgcc-1.1.3(egcs-1.1.2), glibc-2.1, kernel-2.2.6.

First you may want to use gcc 2.7.2.x for the kernel and modules
--- but that is not the error. If it does not work later keep
that in mind. (But that is just a educated guess.)

> fdc-io.c:433: structure has no member named `timeout'

You want the latest *un*stable ftape. It's a change in the kernel
structures in 2.2.x. Despite the name the unstable drivers are
quite stable.
http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/archives/ftape-4.x/unstable/

-Wolfgang

--
PGP 2 welcome: Mail me, subject "send PGP-key".
Unsolicited Bulk E-Mails: *You* pay for ads you never wanted.

Bob Nielsen

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 03:06:56PM -0700, Tim Jones wrote:
> Bob Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > I have an Iomega Ditto Easy 3200 with the Ditto Dash 2 MB/s accelerator
> > card and have had no problems with ftape-3.04d. After reading this
> > thread, I recompiled the 2.2.6 kernel w/o tape support and installed
> > ftape-4.x-1999_03_29. I have tried over and over and mostly the drive
> > seems to be recognized but I can't get any operations to actually
> > execute. I keep getting messages like:
> >
> > ftmt: /dev/nqft0: Input/output error
> >
> > I checked the /proc entries and /proc/ftape/0/cartridge reported:
> >
> > cartridge not formatted
> >
> > However this cartridge worked fine with ftape-3.04d. Trying to format
> > gives:
> >
> > Unknown format API version. Giving up.
> >
> > Any ideas before I give up and return to 3.04d?
> >
> > Bob
>
> Bob,
>
> Honestly, yours is a case where upgrading doesn't really buy you
> anything. The latest version is only required for the newer drives (the
> Pertec being one of them). Your Ditto Easy 3200 was one of the first
> drives that properly worked under 3.04d in the TR-3 family.
>
> Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Well, I guess it IS broke!

I recompiled the kernel with the built-in 3.04d (actually I used 2.2.7,
which just was released).

Now I get the same error messages!

Here is what I have in /usr/src/linux/.config:

# Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
#
CONFIG_FTAPE=y
CONFIG_ZFTAPE=y
CONFIG_ZFT_DFLT_BLK_SZ=10240

#
# The compressor will be built as a module only!
#
CONFIG_ZFT_COMPRESSOR=m
CONFIG_FT_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_FT_NORMAL_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_FT_FULL_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_FT_NO_TRACE is not set
# CONFIG_FT_NO_TRACE_AT_ALL is not set

#
# Hardware configuration
#
# CONFIG_FT_STD_FDC is not set
# CONFIG_FT_MACH2 is not set
# CONFIG_FT_PROBE_FC10 is not set
CONFIG_FT_ALT_FDC=y

#
# Consult the manuals of your tape drive for the correct settings!
#
CONFIG_FT_FDC_BASE=370
CONFIG_FT_FDC_IRQ=6
CONFIG_FT_FDC_DMA=2

This module is loaded:

# cat /proc/modules
zft-compressor 16004 -1

Any ideas where I should look next?

Bob

Rodney Fisk

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to Wolfgang Weisselberg
Hi all,

Here's today's chapter of this soap opera starring my tape drive and me.
Got the unstable.
Built it without a hitch.
Loaded the modules.
Retentioned the tape.
Can't write to it, because the ftformat says "unknown format API, giving
up."
Can't use tar. "cannot write to disk /dev/nqft0: permission denied"
I read in the HOWTO that this might be because of the FD controller.
I don't think so, because it works under Winblows.
Suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Rod

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

> Hi!

> First you may want to use gcc 2.7.2.x for the kernel and modules
> --- but that is not the error. If it does not work later keep
> that in mind. (But that is just a educated guess.)

Tim Jones

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to Rodney Fisk
Rodney,

I hate to sound condescending, but what is going on in the log files?
Please perform the following and post the results
(/var/log/messages.ftape and /tmp/ftape.status) to the list:

make sure the ftape modules are unloaded
cp /var/log/messages /var/log/messages.preftape
load your ftape modules
insert a tape
ln -s /dev/nqft0 /dev/tape
mt setden 4
mt status 2>&1 >/tmp/ftape.status
tar -cvf /dev/qft0 2>&1 >>/tmp/ftape.status

This will give us more info about what's going on on your system.

--

Tim Jones tjo...@estinc.com
Vice President Visit our tape backup web pages:

Bob Nielsen

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
As it turns out, my problem all along was a broken tape in the
cartridge. Oh, well.

Bob

Rodney Fisk

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
to Tim Jones
Hi,

Sorry it took so long to reply, but it was my day off and I am trying
desperately to have a life. ;)
Here's the log entries you asked for.
About 350 lines worth.
The tar command began fine, as it always does, and then locks up into an
unkillable process.
The only way to stop it is to remove the tape from the drive (after several
minutes of waiting),
which kills the tar process immediately.
I hope this gives enough info.
BTW, yes I upgraded to the newest ftape-tools. 1999-03-17.
Also, at the end of the attachment, I added the output of ftmt -f /dev/qft0
status from /var/log/messages.
It worked just fine w/o a tape in.
It correctly id'ed the drive, but when I did it with a tape inside, it hung and
became unkillable.

Hope this is enough info.

Regards,
Rod

attachment

Keith G. Murphy

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
to linux-tape mailing list
Rodney Fisk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry it took so long to reply, but it was my day off and I am trying
> desperately to have a life. ;)
> Here's the log entries you asked for.
> About 350 lines worth.
> The tar command began fine, as it always does, and then locks up into an
> unkillable process.
> The only way to stop it is to remove the tape from the drive (after several
> minutes of waiting),
> which kills the tar process immediately.

Sorry if this is irrelevant (chances are 99% it is), but you're *not*
using a "z" option on tar to get compression, are you? I believe there
is a known problem with this...

Rodney Fisk

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
to keit...@mindspring.com
Hi,

No, I'm not.
I read in the FAQ that zftape's compression is almost as good, and I should get
better results.

Regards,
Rod