Two new versions of procps

Michael K. Johnson

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
to linux-...@vger.rutgers.edu

I've just released two new versions of procps.

The first is 1.2.10, which I hope is the final (or pretty close to
final) release of the 1.2.x series. Just a few minor bug fixes and
a move for libproc to the LGPL (always the intention, forgot to
make a new template when I started it years ago, oops).

The second is 2.0. That's far more interesting. I took Albert
Cahalan's latest snapshot and integrated it into my tree and made
a few changes and fixed a few bugs, but I'm sure that there are
more bugs to fix there, as compared to 1.2.x it is a relatively
untested release. Please hammer on 2.0 and report bugs to
procp...@redhat.com so that I can keep track of them, and if
you can send patches with your bug reports, that would be great.
I will not necessarily see your reports if you post them here --
I do scan linux-kernel but can't always read it in great depth...

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/procps-1.2.10.tar.gz
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/usr.bin/procps-2.0.tar.gz

I've also uploaded to metalab, but I don't know if they will take
two versions at once.

michaelkjohnson

prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz
Linux Application Development http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/

-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.rutgers.edu

Dan Christian

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
to Michael K. Johnson
For procps-2.0-2

When running "ps -p 2" or "ps 2", ps returns success even if the process
doesn't exist. This is different than the previous behavior and from other
Unix.

-Dan

Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies, Statistics,
Benchmarks, and Delivery dates.

Michael K. Johnson

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
to Dan Christian

Dan Christian writes:
>For procps-2.0-2
>
>When running "ps -p 2" or "ps 2", ps returns success even if the process
>doesn't exist. This is different than the previous behavior and from other
>Unix.

Should be fixed in procps 2.0.1 (not out yet). Thanks for the bug report.

Please send procps bugs to procp...@redhat.com in the future, thanks!

Steven N. Hirsch

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
to Dan Christian
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Dan Christian wrote:

> For procps-2.0-2
>
> When running "ps -p 2" or "ps 2", ps returns success even if the process
> doesn't exist. This is different than the previous behavior and from other
> Unix.

The last time I tried Albert's version of procps, it broke all the RedHat
SysV scripts. I'll take another look at it now, though.

Steve

Michael K. Johnson

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
to Steven N. Hirsch

"Steven N. Hirsch" writes:
>The last time I tried Albert's version of procps, it broke all the RedHat
>SysV scripts. I'll take another look at it now, though.

It still will, even with that bug fixed. procps 1.2.x use the h flag to
turn off header generation; Albert's version tries to implement every flag
ever available under any version of ps ever made (correct me if I am wrong,
Albert) and so h is overloaded -- turn off all header generation (specific
to old procps) and generate a header every page (long-time BSD meaning)
and he tries to distinguish between the two based on whether standard in
is a tty. Unfortunately, most scripts, including init scripts, run with
standard in being a tty, so the distinguisher doesn't work.

We're working on resolving this...

michaelkjohnson