RAIT device driver feasibility

Ludovic Drolez

Jan 13, 2005, 10:54:07 AM1/13/05
to linux-...@vger.kernel.org
Hello,

I'd like to know if it's easy to write a RAID like device for tapes (RAIT)...
For block devices, hooks are present in the kernel code, but for char devices,
is there a way to implement a write function for example, which will write in
parallel to N /dev/stX tape devices ?

RAIT already exists in Amanda, in user space, but I'd like to see a generic
kernel RAIT driver which could be used by any backup program.

Cheers,

--
Ludovic DROLEZ Linbox / Free&ALter Soft
152 rue de Grigy - Technopole Metz 2000 57070 METZ

Alan Cox

Jan 13, 2005, 11:53:08 AM1/13/05
to Ludovic Drolez, Linux Kernel Mailing List
On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 15:42, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> RAIT already exists in Amanda, in user space, but I'd like to see a generic
> kernel RAIT driver which could be used by any backup program.

Why kernel space - why not a user space shared library you can add to
other tape apps?

Alan Cox

Jan 13, 2005, 12:40:24 PM1/13/05
On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 17:09, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> > Why kernel space - why not a user space shared library you can add to
> > other tape apps?
>
> A shared library which would override read(), write() in the program ? Why not...
>
> But do you think you can chain/bounce, ioctl(), read(), writes from a char
> driver to another ?

I was thinking more of an easy to use shared library and adapting the
various tape archiving apps to be able to use it, not emulation

Ludovic Drolez

Jan 13, 2005, 12:55:15 PM1/13/05
to Alan Cox, Linux Kernel Mailing List
Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 15:42, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
>
>>RAIT already exists in Amanda, in user space, but I'd like to see a generic
>>kernel RAIT driver which could be used by any backup program.
>

> Why kernel space - why not a user space shared library you can add to
> other tape apps?

A shared library which would override read(), write() in the program ? Why not...

But do you think you can chain/bounce, ioctl(), read(), writes from a char
driver to another ?

Regards,