Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

NEWQPSK tests

48 views
Skip to first unread message

Hamish Moffatt

unread,
Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

Hi all,

Is anyone interested in doing some NEWQPSK testing with me on HF
this weekend? I haven't done any more testing since my beacon experiment
of several months ago and I'd like to try it again.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <ham...@debian.org> <ham...@cloud.net.au>

Kai Schulte

unread,
Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

Hi Hamish,

> Is anyone interested in doing some NEWQPSK testing with me on HF
> this weekend?

How do the tests work, and what band(s) do you use? I'd love to give
psk31 a try but currently I don't have _any_ working short wave antennas,
so this would be good motivation to build/fix one :)

73 de Kai DF4EM


Hamish Moffatt

unread,
Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

Hi Kai,

Well, I was going to arrange a time and frequency where we could
try to make contact. If nothing else I might leave a beacon running
one day this week, if there's anyone hear who would try to copy it.

I would be running Tomi's NEWQPSK modem for Linux, transmitting
AX.25 packets using the 'beacon' program. Would anyone try to decode
this if I set it up?


73,

Tomi Manninen OH2BNS

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Well, I was going to arrange a time and frequency where we could
> try to make contact. If nothing else I might leave a beacon running
> one day this week, if there's anyone hear who would try to copy it.
>
> I would be running Tomi's NEWQPSK modem for Linux, transmitting
> AX.25 packets using the 'beacon' program. Would anyone try to decode
> this if I set it up?

Unfortunately I'm now back from my vacation and HF antennas are a problem
but I might try to set up something.

By the way if anyone here in EU is trying to connect to Joni's NEWQPSK
station at 3590.0kHz LSB, it's now running 2500bps (8000sps),
interleave=8 and fec=3. After some tests we decided that the 3000bps
(9600sps) mode is too wide for most ham rigs and the high and low
carriers are unnecessarily attenuated and performance thus degraded.
2500bps is much better at least in that sense.

--
Tomi Manninen Internet: oh2...@sral.fi
OH2BNS AX.25: oh2...@oh2rbi.fin.eu
KP20ME04 Amprnet: oh2...@oh2rbi.ampr.org


Ken Koster

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu, Hamish Moffatt
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 06:25:43PM +0200, Kai Schulte wrote:
> > > Is anyone interested in doing some NEWQPSK testing with me on HF
> > > this weekend?
> >
> > How do the tests work, and what band(s) do you use? I'd love to give
> > psk31 a try but currently I don't have _any_ working short wave antennas,
> > so this would be good motivation to build/fix one :)
>
> Hi Kai,
>
> Well, I was going to arrange a time and frequency where we could
> try to make contact. If nothing else I might leave a beacon running
> one day this week, if there's anyone hear who would try to copy it.
>
> I would be running Tomi's NEWQPSK modem for Linux, transmitting
> AX.25 packets using the 'beacon' program. Would anyone try to decode
> this if I set it up?

I'd be interested.

I've been trying to get a couple of the local guys interested enough to do
local testing, but everyone is a bit too busy right now, or they don't have
their PC's tied to their HF rigs yet.

I'd be willing to setup a periodic beacon while I'm home in the evening
(approx. 0300-1400 GMT). Since I'm in northwest Washington state picking a
frequency that has half a chance of making it between us is going to be the
difficult part.

Ken, N7IPB -

w7...@aol.com

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
Why don't you guys just go to 20m, around 14.070, and tune around? There's dozens of PSK31 signals there just about 24 hours per day, with the band being open... I've made many good contacts with guys running 3W output power and a dipole, both sides running DigiPan... Why reinvent the wheel when there's worldwide PSK31 stuff coming in on 20M most of the day/night?

73, Gary, W7NTF

Ken Koster

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu, w7...@aol.com
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, w7...@aol.com wrote:
> Why don't you guys just go to 20m, around 14.070, and tune around? There's dozens of PSK31 signals there just about 24 hours per day, with the band being open... I've made many good contacts with guys running 3W output power and a dipole, both sides running DigiPan... Why reinvent the wheel when there's worldwide PSK31 stuff coming in on 20M most of the day/night?
>
> 73, Gary, W7NTF

It's not PSK-31, it's NEWQPSK which is a totally different mode.

Ken

Tomi Manninen

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 w7...@aol.com wrote:

> Why don't you guys just go to 20m, around 14.070, and tune around?
> There's dozens of PSK31 signals there just about 24 hours per day,
> with the band being open... I've made many good contacts with guys
> running 3W output power and a dipole, both sides running DigiPan...
> Why reinvent the wheel when there's worldwide PSK31 stuff coming in on
> 20M most of the day/night?

NEWQPSK has _nothing_ to do with PSK31. Instead it has much more to do
with MT63. (both were "invented" by the same person, Pawel SP9VRC)

NEWQPSK (aka Q15X25) is an AX.25 modem using 15 parallel (OFDM) tones
modulated with DQPSK. Symbol rate with 8000sps is 83.333baud which
translates to 2500 bits per second raw bit rate. There are three different
levels of FEC that reduce the payload down to 833.3 bps.

The modem takes about 2000Hz of bandwidth so it is something you
definitely do NOT want to run on 14.070 !!!

My code is a port of the original Motorola 56k assembler code to Linux
and C.

Tom Gunn

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
I thought it was a different mode. What, briefly, is the difference? The
info I've beeen able to locate seems to concentrate on speed and
bandwidth.

BTW; I've been running PSK under Linux for about 3 months. I've never
talked to (or monitored) anyone else running Linux. There are various
packages -- all running under some variety of Windows. :(

Tom Gunn
tg...@esper.com WD4JQX

----------------------------

"I have no eyebrows." - Anonymous Participant (immediately following
first-ever fire-breathing attempt).

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Ken Koster wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, w7...@aol.com wrote:
> > Why don't you guys just go to 20m, around 14.070, and tune around? There's dozens of PSK31 signals there just about 24 hours per day, with the band being open... I've made many good contacts with guys running 3W output power and a dipole, both sides running DigiPan... Why reinvent the wheel when there's worldwide PSK31 stuff coming in on 20M most of the day/night?
> >

Hamish Moffatt

unread,
Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 09:36:30AM -0700, Ken Koster wrote:
> I've been trying to get a couple of the local guys interested enough to do
> local testing, but everyone is a bit too busy right now, or they don't have
> their PC's tied to their HF rigs yet.

Similar story here. Also, not many Linux- using hams either.

> I'd be willing to setup a periodic beacon while I'm home in the evening
> (approx. 0300-1400 GMT). Since I'm in northwest Washington state picking a
> frequency that has half a chance of making it between us is going to be the
> difficult part.

There should be propagation at some time during that period on 20 metres,
around 0900 I would guess. I was intending to run the beacon for a few
days while I am at work (2200-0800Z), but could do an evening also
(until about 1200Z). The equipment is too noisy to leave running overnight.
(The FT-847's cooling fan runs continuously!)

Jim Darrough

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
I'm running Linux. Have NEVER run anything else for psk-31. TWPSK.

Regards es 73 de Jim, KI7AY CN84

----------------------------------------------------
j...@ki7ay.com
http://www.clipper.net/~jed
If you have ICQ you can message me. My ICQ#:28238084
Download icq @ http://www.icq.com/

Tim Dawson

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
I too am running Linux with the full AX25 packet implementation as well as the
psk31 stuff (twpsk and gpsk31, with gpsk31 being my preference, at least for
now.) Just starting to play with TCP/IP over ax25 . . .

I suspect that there are quite a few of us Linux hams out here, although we
may not be the worlds most vocal crowd.

- Tim


--
================================================================================
Tim Dawson (tada...@tpcsvc.com) Owner/Engineer
TPC Services Bellnet: (972)-221-7385
Lewisville, Texas 75067 FAXnet: (972)-221-0393
"The world is complex. Sendmail.cf reflects this...."

James R. Saker Jr.

unread,
Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
Tim --

What kind of TNC are you using for your TCP/IP over ax25? I've just got my Linux
laptop compiled with the 2.2.14 kernel supporting 6PACK and KISS for my KPC-3+.

Jamie Saker
KC0ILP


Tim Dawson wrote:

--

James R. Saker Jr.
Vice President, Internet Services
Pensat International Communications, Inc.

e: jsa...@pensat.com
v: 402.398.8124
f: 402.398.8121


Akihiro KODA

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

>> I suspect that there are quite a few of us Linux hams out here, although we
>> may not be the worlds most vocal crowd.

I wish I could...

In Japan, there is a problem due to the license.
Even the MT63 mode is NOT legaly allowed.

Akihiro KODA / co...@post.kek.jp / jl3oxr
KEK-MSL +81-298-64-5199(tel) 5623(fax)

Tom Gunn

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
That's interesting. I've talked to several Japan-based PSK stations.
Can't say they were using linux, but they were PSK31. Exactly what is the
license restriction?

Tom Gunn WD4JQX
tg...@esper.com


----------------------------

"I have no eyebrows." - Anonymous Participant (immediately following
first-ever fire-breathing attempt).

Akihiro KODA

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

>> That's interesting. I've talked to several Japan-based PSK stations.
>> Can't say they were using linux, but they were PSK31. Exactly what is the
>> license restriction?

Sorry, I mean, the problem is about licensing for the NEWQPSK mode.
PSK31 mode is allowed in Japan.

Eamon Skelton

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

On 26-Jul-2000 Akihiro KODA wrote:

> In Japan, there is a problem due to the license.
> Even the MT63 mode is NOT legaly allowed.


I wouldn't want to incite anyone to break the law, but
beware of taking the licence conditions too literally.


From the Irish radio experimenters licence:

8. No period of sending shall exceed ten consecutive minutes
duration and each period of sending shall be followed by a
period of not less than three minutes listening-in on the
frequency used.

This makes it impossible to use packet or PSK and very
difficult to use SSB or CW.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--


"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is."
Albert Einstein

Linux 2.2.12-20

Richard Adams

unread,
Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Eamon Skelton wrote about, Re: NEWQPSK tests:
> On 26-Jul-2000 Akihiro KODA wrote:
>
> > In Japan, there is a problem due to the license.
> > Even the MT63 mode is NOT legaly allowed.
>
>
> I wouldn't want to incite anyone to break the law, but
> beware of taking the licence conditions too literally.
>
>
> >From the Irish radio experimenters licence:
>
> 8. No period of sending shall exceed ten consecutive minutes
> duration and each period of sending shall be followed by a
> period of not less than three minutes listening-in on the
> frequency used.
>
> This makes it impossible to use packet or PSK and very
> difficult to use SSB or CW.

Murphy's law Nr, 1115 ??

>
> 73, Ed. EI9GQ.
>
> --
>
>
> "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
> In practice there is."
> Albert Einstein
>
> Linux 2.2.12-20

--
Regards Richard
pa3...@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/


Ray Wells

unread,
Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu
Sorry guys, I'd like to get involved but my HF rig is permanently in use for
0k3 packet on 10.146 for mail forwarding.

Regards ... Ray VK2TV@VK2TV

Tim Dawson

unread,
Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
to linux...@vger.rutgers.edu

Up until recently, and MFJ1270C in kiss mode. Two weeks ago at a hamfest, I
got a KAM Plus for cheap, and have upgraded thereto. Both seem to work just
fine, although I like the KAM 'cuz I can do RTTY/Pactor, etc. The MFJ is
getting 'demoted' to mobile use for APRS.

- Tim, N8EAU

>Tim --
>
>What kind of TNC are you using for your TCP/IP over ax25? I've just got my Linux
>laptop compiled with the 2.2.14 kernel supporting 6PACK and KISS for my KPC-3+.
>
>Jamie Saker
>KC0ILP
>
>
>
>
>Tim Dawson wrote:
>
>> I too am running Linux with the full AX25 packet implementation as well as the
>> psk31 stuff (twpsk and gpsk31, with gpsk31 being my preference, at least for
>> now.) Just starting to play with TCP/IP over ax25 . . .
>>

>> I suspect that there are quite a few of us Linux hams out here, although we
>> may not be the worlds most vocal crowd.
>>

>> - Tim
>>
>> > I'm running Linux. Have NEVER run anything else for psk-31. TWPSK.
>> >
>> > Regards es 73 de Jim, KI7AY CN84
>> >
>> > At 02:21 PM 7/24/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> > >I thought it was a different mode. What, briefly, is the difference? The
>> > >info I've beeen able to locate seems to concentrate on speed and
>> > >bandwidth.
>> > >
>> > >BTW; I've been running PSK under Linux for about 3 months. I've never
>> > >talked to (or monitored) anyone else running Linux. There are various
>> > >packages -- all running under some variety of Windows. :(
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >Tom Gunn
>> > >tg...@esper.com WD4JQX
>> > >

>> > > ----------------------------
>> > >
>> > > "I have no eyebrows." - Anonymous Participant (immediately following
>> > > first-ever fire-breathing attempt).
>> > >

0 new messages