Table Update Information

Kevin Mixer

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
to info-...@ams.org
I am trying to document the last date/time the data in a specific table was
updated, inserted or deleted. Is there any command or "ii" table where you
can tell the last time the data in a table was updated/added/deleted?

I have looked at "iitables" and found create_date (date table originally
created), alter_date (date when table structure was last changed) and
modify_date (date when a modify command was last run against teh table).
None of the date fileds tell when the last time the data in a table was
changed/added/deleted.

Due to the volume of changes to all the tables I only keep one week of
journal files active so I am not able to go back and try to extract the
data.

I am running Ingres 6.4/05 on Solaris 2.4.

Mike Lay

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
to info-...@ams.org
On 19 Nov 1998, Kevin Mixer wrote:

> I am trying to document the last date/time the data in a specific table was
> updated, inserted or deleted. Is there any command or "ii" table where you
> can tell the last time the data in a table was updated/added/deleted?

Not that I am aware of (prepares to be corrected ;-).

An easy way to implement such a thing might be to install a rule that
fired when the table was touched. Said rule would make a note in a table
defined by you as to when the insert/etc took place.

----
Mike Lay --- micha...@ctsu.ox.ac.uk --- CTSU, Oxford.
"I can barely speak for myself... let alone the CTSU!"
"Help! My computer's falling apart!! The operating system's in 32 bits!"

mnor...@personal.com.py

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
to Kevin Mixer, info-...@ams.org
I was working with ingres 6.4 before and there's no way to obtain what you
want with any tables of the ingres system catalog. Well, I never find the
way.
We controlled this access creating rules (after insert, delete, update) for
principal tables and the procedure associated writed some values like
username, operation (update, delete, insert) and date/time in a "audit"
table (owned by the dba).
Now, with the OI 1.2, we use the "security alarm"... a new feature of
OpenIngres.

I hope this comment could help you and sorry for my english... it isn't
very good !!!!

Maria Victoria Normand

Kevin Mixer <kevin...@SPAM.eds.com> con fecha 19/11/98 10:12:51 AM

Destinatarios: info-...@ams.org
CC: (cci: Maria Victoria Normand/Telecom_Personal/PY)
Asunto: Table Update Information

I am trying to document the last date/time the data in a specific table was
updated, inserted or deleted. Is there any command or "ii" table where you
can tell the last time the data in a table was updated/added/deleted?

George Wang

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
to info-...@ams.org
You may try use auditdb by table to get all insert, delete and update time
and values.

If you only want to know when is the time a table is update, write script to
get file name for the table through iifile_info, then find the time stamp in
ingres data location.

George
Kevin Mixer wrote in message
<01be13c6$51c57520$7d2f...@ph83995675.sys.eds.com>...

Oliver Gentsch

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
to rlal...@meghdoot.mastek.com, info-...@ams.org
Hi Kevin,

You could enable journaling on your database (and every table) and use "auditdb"
together with a shellscript to get information about every write-access.
Example:

Command:
auditdb gart

Output:
Audit for database gart 20-Nov-1
998 15:13:35.80 Page 1

Begin : Transaction Id 0000361cffffffff 18-Nov-1998 12:38:42.39 Username dps

End : Transaction Id 0000361cffffffff 18-Nov-1998 12:38:42.88
Begin : Transaction Id 0000361cffffffff 20-Nov-1998 15:13:19.40 Username dps

Insert/Append : Transaction Id 0000361cffffffff Id (244,0) Table [formel1
,dps ]
Record: <12||||>
End : Transaction Id 0000361cffffffff 20-Nov-1998 15:13:19.52

HTH

Oliver Gentsch
SMS-Data-Plan

Terrance Richard Boyes

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
to info-...@ams.org
George Wang <URL:mailto:jianhu...@mci2000.com> wrote:
> You may try use auditdb by table to get all insert, delete and update time
> and values.

> If you only want to know when is the time a table is update, write script to
> get file name for the table through iifile_info, then find the time stamp in
> ingres data location.

Note on some tables that may be superseded by the modify_date.

--
<URL:http://www.pierrot.co.uk/faq/dtm.faq> Team AMIGA
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most Souls would scarcely get