seagate-owners mailing list

Bill Croft

Oct 1, 1985, 5:25:00 PM10/1/85
------- Forwarded Message

To: Bill Croft <croft@safe>
Subject: Re: AppleTalk gateway (SEAGATE)
Date: 28 Sep 85 01:18:58 PDT (Sat)
From: guyton%con...@rand-unix.ARPA

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a shopping list (i.e. budget)
to put together a seagate here. Very early stages, but
if you ever got a seagate list going, I'd be more than
mildly interested in the archives!

In fact, I already have one question: have you a phone
number (or even a city) for Forward Technology?

Thanks,

-- Jim Guyton

------- End of Forwarded Message

Jim,

I think there are about 10 seagates in existance now. I've
setup a mailing list "seagate@safe" that includes these folks
and some I'm not sure about. Below is this list of seagate "owners".
This list could be used to exchange operational experience, hints,
bug fixes, etc.

croft@safe
niz@lindy
unisoft!normac!stephen@berkeley
clark%ubc@csnet-relay
djw@cmu-ee-maxwell
hatfield@ge-crd
hedrick@rutgers
mcgowan@rochester
madej%uiucuxc@uiuc
eric_shapiro%umich-mts.mailnet@mit-multics
milazzo@rice
davidk%amber%dartmouth@csnet-relay
terry_church%carleton.bitnet@wiscvm
clark@amadeus

You should also be aware of the commercial box being built
by Kinetics. See the <applebus> archives on cmu-cs-c.
There have been a number of postings to info-applebus@cmu-cs-c regarding
seagate, file servers, and Kinetics in the past. You should join
by sending your address to info-applebus-request@cmu-cs-c.

We originally used the Forward Tech board because that is what
the gateways and tips on campus here use, but since then a company
called SBE started making a multibus 68000 CPU board with built
in SCCs and DMA. If you are willing to fool around a bit with
the seagate software, that board should be less expensive and
have more thruput. Addresses for Forward and SBE:

Forward Technology (FT68-X board)
227 Devcon Dr.
San Jose, CA 95112
408 971 6700