[hylafax-users] problems with windows 2000

Tehn Yit Chin

Feb 27, 2002, 10:19:07 PM2/27/02
to Michael Earley, hylafa...@hylafax.org
We have been sending faxes from Win2K machines using whfc to hylafax without
any problems.

We use the standard Apple Color LaserWriter 12/600 printer driver that comes
from Win2K. The printer is on port WHFCFAX. The WHFCFAX port is created
after installation of whfc.

regards,

Tehn Yit Chin
Chief Engineer - Millison Technology Pty.Ltd.
20 Brooklyn Ave. Dandenong, Victoria, 3175 Australia
ph: +61 3 8793 9500
fx: +61 3 9798 7633
mb: +61 418 139 181
mailto:tehn.y...@millison.com.au

Michael Earley

Feb 27, 2002, 11:34:59 PM2/27/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
We are using the Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS driver, installed by Win2K, that
uses pscript5.dll. It's the one recommended by someone somewhere for use with
Hylafax.

That's not the problem (I don't believe), because printing to file, then copying
the file to the network print device \\printserver\fax from either machine works
with the file _created_ by win95, but not with the file created by win2K.

Any other ideas?

Michael.

proc...@creditus.pt

Feb 28, 2002, 7:08:48 AM2/28/02
to Michael Earley, hylafa...@hylafax.org

Try the other driver. And if doesn't work, get the latest driver from A=
pple
website. I have 2-3 users with win200 faxing without problems with whfc=
out
of the box..

Pedro Roçadas (proc...@creditus.pt)
Dptº Informática,BPN-Créditus Technical Staff=

Olaf Reuss

Feb 28, 2002, 7:45:18 AM2/28/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
Hi,

here working fine with W2K (SP2), WHFC 1.0.8, Printer: Apple Laserwriter
16/600 PS (Original W2K Driver, whitout any changes in the setup)

Olaf Reuss

Andreas Hödle

Feb 28, 2002, 7:49:27 AM2/28/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
Michael Earley schrieb:

> I'm new to this, please be gentle.
>
> I've attached two files, names self-explanatory.
>
> "works" is from win95, uses pscript.drv version 4.0, "doesntwork" is from Win2K,
> uses pscript.dll (actual file name pscript5.dll) version 5.0.
>
> Sending "works" from win95 and win2k works, sending "doesntwork" gets nothing
> from Hylafax, it just drops it, no error message, nothing.
>
> Question is, has anyone else had problems sending a postscript file generated by
> windows 2000, and what did you do to fix it? I've got a bunch of unhappy
> (just-migrated) win2k users not able to use our faxing system at the moment.
>
> Any ideas, fixes, suggestions would be great.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Michael Earley
> System Support Officer

Please don´t post attachments to the list.

Have a look at the WHFC Homepage http://www.transcom.de/whfc/index.html

Try to change your printer-driver settings to something like
- embedding True-Type fonts
- optimize for portability

Hope this helps

--
Andreas Hödle (Systemadministration)

Kühn & Weyh Software GmbH
Linnestr. 1-3
79110 Freiburg

WWW.KWSOFT.DE

Andreas Hödle

Feb 28, 2002, 7:51:55 AM2/28/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
Michael Earley schrieb:

> We are using the Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS driver, installed by Win2K, that
> uses pscript5.dll. It's the one recommended by someone somewhere for use with
> Hylafax.
>
> That's not the problem (I don't believe), because printing to file, then copying
> the file to the network print device \\printserver\fax from either machine works
> with the file _created_ by win95, but not with the file created by win2K.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Michael.

What version of ghostscript on the FAX-Server ?
What does "file" say if you copy the ps-file to the FAX-Server?
Can you rasterize the ps-file manuell with "ps2fax" on the FAX-Server?

Best regards

--
Andreas Hödle (Systemadministration)

Kühn & Weyh Software GmbH
Linnestr. 1-3
79110 Freiburg

WWW.KWSOFT.DE

Giulio Orsero

Mar 1, 2002, 3:48:52 AM3/1/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:41:31 +0100, "Olaf Reuss" <o...@pr-reuss.de> wrote:

>here working fine with W2K (SP2), WHFC 1.0.8, Printer: Apple Laserwriter
>16/600 PS (Original W2K Driver, whitout any changes in the setup)

When you print to the whfc printer, does the whfc printer shows up on top of
the current window?

On winxp the whfc window start in the background (under all the active
windows) and you won't notice unless you know it works that way.

I only have this problem on winpx, not on win9x (never tried win2k, but once
I got an email from a win2k user having the same problem).

Thanks

--
giu...@pobox.com

Jay R. Ashworth

Mar 2, 2002, 9:22:04 PM3/2/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:30:52PM +1000, Michael Earley wrote:
> We are using the Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS driver, installed by
> Win2K, that uses pscript5.dll. It's the one recommended by someone
> somewhere for use with Hylafax.

I'm one of those people; I have good luck with that driver.

> That's not the problem (I don't believe), because printing to file,
> then copying the file to the network print device \\printserver\fax
> from either machine works with the file _created_ by win95, but not
> with the file created by win2K.

That makes it sound like the print driver is broken on W2K.

Make sure it's not defaulting to Level 3 Postscript somehow; I don't
thing GS will cope. Also, look for a "speed/portability" switch;
select for portability.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth j...@baylink.com
Member of the Technical Staff Baylink RFC 2100

"If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
-- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")

Olaf Reuss

Mar 13, 2002, 7:15:23 PM3/13/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
Hi,

> When you print to the whfc printer, does the whfc printer shows
> up on top of
> the current window?

no, after i've "print" the fax to the right printer, i have to click once on
the icon of WHFC in the systemtray or if the whfc program window is on the
desktop have have to switch to this window. then i can place the faxnumber.

> I only have this problem on winpx, not on win9x (never tried
> win2k, but once I got an email from a win2k user having the same problem).

at the moment i can only tell my experience with win2k, mentioned here.

best regards
Olaf

Mr Poirier Xavier

Mar 14, 2002, 1:52:06 AM3/14/02
to mailing list hylafax
En réponse à Olaf Reuss <o...@pr-reuss.de>:

hello,

on Win2000 :
This seems to be the problem with somes windows specialy.I meen,
when you have Word opened (grr) and you run whfc , it will be opened in t=
he
bakground.
But, if you have Openoffice opened (ahh) and you run whfc, it will be ope=
ned
like a first and active window.
Strange, no ?
One is under license Microsoft,the second is under license GPL.
What you take ?

have a good day.
bye

Xavier.

Ce courriel est envoyé au travers de l` interface IMP: ch-bourg01.fr
Ce message a été passé automatiquement à l' antivirus par Amavis

Ulrich Eckhardt

Apr 11, 2002, 4:01:42 AM4/11/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
Olaf Reuss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > When you print to the whfc printer, does the whfc printer shows
> > up on top of
> > the current window?
>
> no, after i've "print" the fax to the right printer, i have to click once on
> the icon of WHFC in the systemtray or if the whfc program window is on the
> desktop have have to switch to this window. then i can place the faxnumber.
>
> > I only have this problem on winpx, not on win9x (never tried
> > win2k, but once I got an email from a win2k user having the same problem).
>
> at the moment i can only tell my experience with win2k, mentioned here.

Hi,

thats a w2k problem. Microsoft has changed something in the
windowtofront api calls. I have some hints how to fix this.
Only the time is missing to implemnt this ;-)

Uli
--
Ulrich Eckhardt Transcom
http://www.uli-eckhardt.de http://www.transcom.de

Francisco J. Soler

Apr 12, 2002, 7:14:35 AM4/12/02
to hylafa...@hylafax.org
I can print the faxes that come in, but I can't (I don't know how) print
the faxes that users sent out.

I have defined a specific printer via samba to sent out the faxes.

Frank.

--
Francisco J. Soler
PROMONAL S.L. Dto. CAD-CAM