[Haskell-cafe] Haskell IDE

Hauschild, Klaus (EXT)

Mar 3, 2011, 2:11:23 AM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
Hi Haskellers,

whats your Haskell IDE of choise? Currently I use leksah. Is the EclipseFP Plugin for Eclipse a real alternative?

Thanks

Klaus

Eugene Kirpichov

Mar 3, 2011, 2:19:12 AM3/3/11
to Hauschild, Klaus (EXT), haskel...@haskell.org
A year and something ago I used Leksah and I was reasonably satisfied
with what it had to offer at that time. If I'm understanding
correctly, it has been much improved since.

However, now I actually use vim - but that's because I'm scared of
trying to install Leksah on Windows (maybe it isn't hard, I haven't
tried) and because I'm only doing rather tiny things with Haskell at
the moment.

2011/3/3 Hauschild, Klaus (EXT) <klaus.hau...@siemens.com>:

Eugene Kirpichov
Senior Software Engineer,
Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/

JP Moresmau

Mar 3, 2011, 2:23:47 AM3/3/11
to Hauschild, Klaus (EXT), haskel...@haskell.org

Hello, I'm one of the maintainers of EclipseFP. It is a real
alternative: it works, it is maintained, supported and enhanced. I use
it for my own projects, and of course I use it to work on the version
of the scion library that ships with it, so we eat our own dogfood
:-). A new minor version is going to come out in the next couple of
weeks. Why don't you give it a try? We appreciate any feedback!

--
JP Moresmau
http://jpmoresmau.blogspot.com/

Andrew Butterfield

Mar 3, 2011, 3:17:59 AM3/3/11
to Haskell Cafe

On 3 Mar 2011, at 07:05, Hauschild, Klaus (EXT) wrote:

> Hi Haskellers,
>
> whats your Haskell IDE of choise? Currently I use leksah. Is the EclipseFP Plugin for Eclipse a real alternative?

WinEdt*/MikTex/GHCi

do leksah/EclipseFP support literate haskell programming (mix of .tex and .lhs files) ?

* not to be confused with WinEdit !

> Thanks
>
> Klaus

Andrew Butterfield Tel: +353-1-896-2517 Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Foundations and Methods Research Group Director.
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room F.13, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/

JP Moresmau

Mar 3, 2011, 3:54:21 AM3/3/11
to Andrew Butterfield, Haskell Cafe
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Andrew Butterfield
<andrew.bu...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2011, at 07:05, Hauschild, Klaus (EXT) wrote:
>
> Hi Haskellers,
>
> whats your Haskell IDE of choise? Currently I use leksah. Is the EclipseFP
> Plugin for Eclipse a real alternative?
>
> WinEdt*/MikTex/GHCi
> do leksah/EclipseFP support literate haskell programming (mix of .tex and
> .lhs files) ?
>
> * not to be confused with WinEdit !
>

> Thanks
>
> Klaus

> Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
> Foundations and Methods Research Group Director.
> School of Computer Science and Statistics,
> Room F.13, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
>                             http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/

EclipseFP supports lhs files. Not too sure about tex files, I know
some support was built but I haven't worked on it.

Mihai Maruseac

Mar 3, 2011, 8:27:38 AM3/3/11
to Hauschild, Klaus (EXT), haskel...@haskell.org

Hi,

I use vim in terminator: one window with the source, one with ghci and
one small window with the directory tree. It is just like a IDE but
only bundled with what I use.

--
Mihai

Paul Sujkov

Mar 3, 2011, 9:28:02 AM3/3/11
to Hauschild, Klaus (EXT), haskel...@haskell.org
Hi,

I use emacs. Tried leksah a couple of times, but wasn't satisfied by it's
stability and user friendliness.

On 3 March 2011 09:05, Hauschild, Klaus (EXT) <
klaus.hau...@siemens.com> wrote:

Regards, Paul Sujkov

Michal Konečný

Mar 3, 2011, 11:11:28 AM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Hauschild, Klaus (EXT)
<klaus.hau...@siemens.com> wrote:
> whats your Haskell IDE of choise? Currently I use leksah. Is the EclipseFP
> Plugin for Eclipse a real alternative?

I use EclipseFP 2.0.2 on a few fairly large projects and am overall very happy
with it despite a few flaws, eg:

- it currently signals an error in source code files with non-latin-1 unicode
characters
- it does not build projects that include C files
- I find it fairly slow on very large projects as it continuously rebuilds
them as you type, but it is not as slow as this kind of approach may seem to
imply

I especially appreciate:
- how well it highlights compiler errors
- the outline of a module

I do not use code completion beyond the generic Alt-/, so I do not have an
opinion on how well this is supported in eclipsefp.

Michal
--
|o| Michal Konecny <mikko...@gmail.com>
|o| http://www-users.aston.ac.uk/~konecnym/
|o| office: (+42) (0)121 204 3462
|o| PGP key http://www-users.aston.ac.uk/~konecnym/ki.aow

signature.asc

Andrew Coppin

Mar 3, 2011, 2:15:00 PM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
On 03/03/2011 07:12 AM, Eugene Kirpichov wrote:

> However, now I actually use vim - but that's because I'm scared of
> trying to install Leksah on Windows (maybe it isn't hard, I haven't
> tried) and because I'm only doing rather tiny things with Haskell at
> the moment.

FWIW, last time I tried, "installing Leksah on Windows" consisted of
downloading a compiled EXE file and double-clicking it. It was literally
that complex.

Simon Heath

Mar 3, 2011, 2:21:03 PM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
Emacs. haskell-mode is also rather slicker than most emacs major
modes I've seen; it recognizes syntax as you type, does the right
thing with indentation levels, and so on.

--
Simon Heath                       icef...@gmail.com
Follow your heart, and keep on rocking.  http://alopex.li/

Michael Xavier

Mar 3, 2011, 4:21:18 PM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
I use vim (CLI not gvim). Any productivity I lose without the niceties of
Leksah are probably made up for with the gains from being a vim user for
years.
--
Michael Xavier
http://www.michaelxavier.net

Daniel Fischer

Mar 3, 2011, 6:18:57 PM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Thursday 03 March 2011 22:14:34, Michael Xavier wrote:
> I use vim (CLI not gvim).

I use kate.

Markus Läll

Mar 3, 2011, 7:30:50 PM3/3/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
I have been using Notepad++ -- it has proper (I think) syntaks highlighting
and in the latest version now has line wrapping a la kate: broken lines
start at the indent level of the first one.

--
Markus Läll

Gracjan Polak

Mar 4, 2011, 3:21:25 AM3/4/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
Alexander Danilov <alexander.a.danilov <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 03.03.2011 16:05, Hauschild, Klaus (EXT) пишет:

> Emacs, look at haskell wiki for details about haskell-mode.

Emacs is good as an editor for Haskell. Indentation is problematic.

I'd like to have a indent mode that has following bindings:
- TAB indents 4 chars more
- Shift-TAB indents 4 chars less
- RET - indents a line same as previous line unless last line had a block
opening keyword

Indentation indents mostly too far right in current haskell-mode for my taste.

--
Gracjan

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic

Mar 4, 2011, 5:14:35 AM3/4/11
to Gracjan Polak, haskel...@haskell.org
On 4 March 2011 19:16, Gracjan Polak <gracja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexander Danilov <alexander.a.danilov <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> 03.03.2011 16:05, Hauschild, Klaus (EXT) пишет:
>> > Hi Haskellers,
>> > whats your Haskell IDE of choise? Currently I use leksah. Is the
>> > EclipseFP Plugin for Eclipse a real alternative?
>> > Thanks
>> > Klaus
>> >

>> Emacs, look at haskell wiki for details about haskell-mode.
>>

> Emacs is good as an editor for Haskell. Indentation is problematic.
>
> I'd like to have a indent mode that has following bindings:
> - TAB indents 4 chars more
> - Shift-TAB indents 4 chars less
> - RET - indents a line same as previous line unless last line had a block
>  opening keyword

Sounds similar to what haskell-indent does, except that it uses 2
spaces rather than 4, backspace does the chars less, and TAB also has
a version (albeit not as nice as the one in haskell-indentation) of
the tab-cycle.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Mi...@gmail.com

Gracjan Polak

Mar 4, 2011, 5:38:50 AM3/4/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Sounds similar to what haskell-indent does, except that it uses 2
> spaces rather than 4, backspace does the chars less, and TAB also has
> a version (albeit not as nice as the one in haskell-indentation) of
> the tab-cycle.

I rejected haskell-indent some time ago, do not remember the reason now.

I think I'll give it a second chance.

--
Gracjan

anpeo

Nov 16, 2011, 10:59:06 AM11/16/11
to haskel...@haskell.org
Intellj Community Version == Free
and Haskell plugin (load with Pluginmanager)
/Anders

kmandp...@verizon.net

Mar 4, 2014, 1:06:28 PM3/4/14
I'm using TextMate and it has a nicely bundled Haskell environment...see Bundles -> Haskell.
It is reasonably priced.
The one downside you need to do some work to display hidden files [those with a period up front of the name] on Unix-like machines.

Hope it helps