Failing to upgrade from 10.1-RELEASE to 10.3-STABLE

George Mitchell

Oct 9, 2016, 3:55:25 PM10/9/16
to FreeBSD Stable Mailing List
# freebsd-update -r 10.3-STABLE upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/src world/base world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/doc world/games

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-STABLE from update5.freebsd.org...
failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-STABLE from update4.freebsd.org...
failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-STABLE from update6.freebsd.org...
failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-STABLE from update3.freebsd.org...
failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

What am I doing wrong? (I get the same failure attempting to upgrade
to 10.1-RELEASE and 10.2-RELEASE.) -- George

George Mitchell

Oct 9, 2016, 6:56:36 PM10/9/16
to Kurt Jaeger, FreeBSD Stable Mailing List
On 10/09/16 15:57, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> What am I doing wrong? (I get the same failure attempting to upgrade
>> to 10.1-RELEASE and 10.2-RELEASE.) -- George
>
> Ah, one thing:
>
> Please do update to the latest 10.1-REL patch level, first.

After upgrading to the latest 10.1-RELEASE:

I can update to 10.3-RELEASE, and that will probably do for now.
Should it have worked to update from 10.1-RELEASE to 10.3-STABLE
directly? If I decide to upgrade from 10.3-RELEASE to 10.3-STABLE
later on, should I expect that to work? -- George

jungle Boogie

Oct 9, 2016, 7:32:22 PM10/9/16
to George Mitchell, Kurt Jaeger, freebsd-stable
If I decide to upgrade from 10.3-RELEASE to 10.3-STABLE
> later on, should I expect that to work? -- George
> _

No. Freebsd-update is only for binary updates. Stable and head are where
you build from source and therefore, freebsd-update doesn't work.

George Mitchell

Oct 10, 2016, 9:43:52 AM10/10/16
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
On 10/10/16 03:04, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> [...]
> Most of the time you should be able to upgrade from any patch level of
> release to the latest on any supported release branch using
> freebsd-update(8). However there have been a number of occasions where
> changes to freebsd-update itself cause that not to work. This is one of
> those occasions.
>
> As you've discovered, the answer is to update to the latest patch level
> of the branch you're already on, which will pull in the necessary fixes
> to freebsd-update(8), and then you can upgrade to a more recent branch.
>
> As other people have noted, you can't use freebsd-update(8) to get to
> 10.3-STABLE -- for that, you need to build the OS from source.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Thanks for the further details. -- George