possible regression on i386

Marek Zarychta

Oct 9, 2016, 4:58:34 PM10/9/16
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
Dear Developers,

I really appreciate your work for the project so it makes me really
sorry to complain about the code, but probably commit r306905 breaks
builds on i386 machines.
I have been running 11.0-PRERELEASE on i386 machine for a few days.
Upgrade from 9.3-STABLE through 10.3-STABLE went without an issue last
week. Today I have tried to upgrade this system running on old Xeon
without LM feature to latest version, but buildworld fails (see attached
txt file). It is a quite old machine, where FreeBSD was installed 14
years ago, but regularly upgraded and always running supported branch.
After reversion to r306777 world builds flawlessly.

Best regards,
--
Marek Zarychta
r306905.bug.txt

Nathan Lay

Oct 9, 2016, 8:12:28 PM10/9/16
to Marek Zarychta, freebsd...@freebsd.org
If your problem is anything like mine was, buildworld is trying to link
with /usr/lib/librt.so rather than the new one built during the buildworld
build. As per a recent commit, the new librt will have the additional
mq_getfd_np() symbol while the original /usr/lib/librt.so will not. That
causes those unresolved reference errors for new code trying to use the
mq_getfd_np() function.

Try building and installing librt manually:
cd /usr/src/lib/librt
make && make install

Then try buildworld again.

Reference:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=306905

Best regards,
Nathan Lay

Marek Zarychta

Oct 11, 2016, 5:11:49 AM10/11/16
to Nathan Lay, freebsd...@freebsd.org
On Sun, Oct 09, 2016 at 08:11:55PM -0400, Nathan Lay wrote:
> If your problem is anything like mine was, buildworld is trying to link
> with /usr/lib/librt.so rather than the new one built during the buildworld
> build. As per a recent commit, the new librt will have the additional
> mq_getfd_np() symbol while the original /usr/lib/librt.so will not. That
> causes those unresolved reference errors for new code trying to use the
> mq_getfd_np() function.
>
> Try building and installing librt manually:
> cd /usr/src/lib/librt
> make && make install
>
> Then try buildworld again.

Thank you for reply and advice. It was, of course my fault,
/etc/src.conf file was left unchanged since upgrade from 9.3 and
setting "CC=clang" was causing compilation errors.
The first impression is very important: FreeBSD 11 runs pretty smoothly
on this old machine being also more lightweight than 9.3.

--

Marek Zarychta
signature.asc