Yet another EMACS-like editor written in Lisp

ucbvax!editor-p

Mar 13, 1983, 3:09:31 AM3/13/83
>From ADMI...@SU-SCORE.ARPA Sat Mar 12 05:06:14 1983
To: Editor-People@SU-SCORE

The Spice Lisp group at CMU is currently working on Hemlock, an
editor written in Common Lisp. This will initially run in Vax Common
Lisp, which is being jointly developed by DEC and CMU, and in Spice
Lisp on the Perq. Hemlock is barely walking now, but by late summer
it should be up and running. The code will be public-domain. Our
initial goal is to make Hemlock look like Emacs to the user; once we
have reached this level, we will consider extensions and
improvements. We will send a notice to this list when the system is
ready for outside users.

We're using a doubly-linked list of lines representation, and are
experimenting with including a "line number" in the line objects.
The numbers are integers kept in ascending order, so mark comparison
can be done in constant time. Making such comparison a cheap
operation lets us insure a certain amount of integrity with low
overhead. Does anyone out there have any statistics on how often
mark comparison is done in an EMACS-like editor?

--Skef