[Caml-list] Maze generator

Jon Harrop

Feb 21, 2007, 5:40:52 PM2/21/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

Whilst revamping our website, I took the time to improve the maze generator:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/ocaml/maze/

it is now 30% shorter and much faster, using an array instead of a functional
map. It also uses continuation passing style instead of an explicit stack.
But it no longer produces PostScript output.

The program uses a simple depth first search. An interesting alternative
algorithm involves keeping track of sets of connection cells and breaking
walls to unify the sets until you have a spanning tree. That should be easy
to code in OCaml but I think it will generate mazes that are much harder to
solve.

OCaml for Scientists