[Caml-list] autoconf macros, first round

1 view

Guillaume Rousse

Sep 8, 2006, 11:11:10 AM9/8/06
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Following discussion from last month, I started to work on three sets of
macros:
- macros checking install caml system
- macros trying to determine caml module compilation flags
- macros trying to actually compile some code using a caml module

Here is a prototype implementation for the first set, bringing
AC_PROG_OCAML and AC_PROG_CAMLP4. I didn't really tested portability
yet, and didn't implemented caching either, I'm rather getting opinions
about their interfaces and behaviour.

Features:
- minimal ocaml version checking
- strict version checking for all tools
- minimal working test for native compiler
- user-selectable use of optimized versions

Those macros are fatal if ocaml is not found for the first one, and if
camlp4 is not found for the second. Otherwise, they just set variables,
and issues warnings for missing tools or version mismatches.

I'm not really sure, however, for the granularity. Grigory used to have
another AC_PROG_OCAML_TOOL for ocamllex and ocamlyacc only, but I don't
really see what criteria could be used for distinguishing what should be
in AC_PROG_OCAML and what should be kept in AC_PROG_OCAML_TOOL, so I
prefered to merge them. I know however camlp4 is installable separatly
(at least on mandriva), moreover keeping it separated allows to make it
fatal if not found.

Comments welcomes.
--
Guillaume Rousse